No announcement yet.

Cue Tip deformation and tearing after one miscue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes true, it was predominently Elk or B.D's that were available in the past, so they were the tips used by most, if not all.

Still, it's not that the standard of play has improved at all since the advent of these tips becoming freely available, and in fact, it could be argued that some of the "best" play today and in recent years, is not as good as the "best" play of maybe the early to mid nineties. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

My point here is simply to point out that Elks are as capable a tip for playing as more or less any other tip. They may not last as long as some, but then they may be quite a bit cheaper to buy than some, so it's swings and roundabouts.

I think if there are threads or questoins about tips, that people should be aware of what any and all tips can offer, and not just be steered towards or away from one brand or another based on opinion, but facts.

I have struck balls with cues fitted with most tips at one time or another, and I can honeslty say that I've not felt any wow factor from a tip alone, no chance.

A cue now, that's a different matter and some are clearly better to use than others, and that's nothing to do with "brand" or "maker" either.

Each to their own.
    Last edited by trevs1; 9 August 2010, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I personally feel it is almost comical to see so many laminated tips, shafts, ferrule, joint pins, joint material... and what not in the US cue market these days.
      Elk is not consistent but like Trevor said it does not mean it is a bad tip. Most of the laminated tips were made for US pool and they are very hard.
      I have tried all tips made by Tiger (before they became too complicated with too many names to remember that is) and my honest opinion is that they do not know how to make a good tip, end of.
      Best made tip is Moori in terms of resistance agaisnt de-lamination...but they are quite hard and do not hold chalk that well. They are made for US pool and are too big and thick to be installed properly on a snooker cue to begin with.
      In terms of playability, I think Mike's pressed super tip is really good. Talisman S is very nice as well. Kamui S is very soft and nice but tends to mushroom too fast which is why lots of people do not like them.
      When looking for a tip, I do not think one should firstly look at how durable the tip is--the tip is for playing so it has to play well to begin with. A lot of players are too obsessed with whether a tip will mushroom or not--but can you play a full range of shots on a snooker table with a tip that never mushrooms? I think that is the question. Of course being durable is important, so is consistency--but playability should be the first concern.
      A lot of people when trying to sell a tip keep saying how consistent the tip is, how it does not mushroom, and how long it lasts...etc. In my opinion, the first priority should be how well it plays, and whether it is suitable to play a full range of shots for the game of snooker.
      Last edited by poolqjunkie; 10 August 2010, 07:15 PM.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I disagree on your point about Moori not holding chalk, they are no big deal to install either. Yes you cut off a lot of what you paid for but they will hold their shape and last a long time and from tip to tip, no hassle they are all the same.
        Best made most consistent tip I have used to date thats why I sell these 50 to 1 of anything else, they are that good.

Comment

I know many pros are using Elk, some pros are using Talisman S and I heard some have tried Kamui--but does anyone know if Moori S is also a popular choice among top pro snooker players in the UK?
          Thank you.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

/..................
            Last edited by DeeZiZ; 18 April 2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X