Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with info on this telescopic cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with info on this telescopic cue?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the details of a cue I have recently acquired. It is branded as the 'Telecue 148' and I haven't been able to find any information on it. I was told it was antique when I purchased it - although, I have since discovered it to be a telescopic cue (which, I assume, indicate a more modern piece?)

I hope some of the learned members of TSF will have come across one of these before. Perhaps you know of a release or discontinuation date?

I'm also struggling to upload photos at present, so I hope this photobucket link will suffice...

http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/dmrago/

Many thanks

Nope...I have never seen one of these. How does it play like What's the balance point

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

ive got one mae by cue craft dont no much about it i ues it so i dont have to put the EXTENSION on my cue

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        Nope...I have never seen one of these. How does it play like What's the balance point

Terry
        Thanks for the early responses.

I have just taken it to the table to get a feel for it. I can tell you it's suprisingly light considering. In terms of balance point, I found the most comfortable place to grip it was just behind the metal "plate" on the butt of the cue.

I have also attempted a few minutes playing with the rest. Seems durable enough. You can adjust the cue length once the "plate" in twisted clockwise; you may then lock the cue back into position by doing the reverse.

Comment

Originally Posted by dmrago View Post
          Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the details of a cue I have recently acquired. It is branded as the 'Telecue 148' and I haven't been able to find any information on it. I was told it was antique when I purchased it - although, I have since discovered it to be a telescopic cue (which, I assume, indicate a more modern piece?)

I hope some of the learned members of TSF will have come across one of these before. Perhaps you know of a release or discontinuation date?

I'm also struggling to upload photos at present, so I hope this photobucket link will suffice...

Many thanks

thanks for the pictures. havent seen one of these for years. I think the cues were produced early 1990's. Certainly the first range of telecues were produced about 1986/87 and were endorsed by the likes of Tony Knowles and Joe Johnson. These most common ones has no splicing and the 148 model that you have was made to be more like a snooker cue in appearance. My mate had an early telecue absolutely awful, but he knocked many a 100 in with it!

Comment

Thanks ebony, that's fantastic. You're mate must have been quite the break-builder! It's certainly a challenging cue to use. Still, an interesting one nonetheless. Many thanks again

Comment

Telecue148

Hi,
              I know all about this cue, I have owned and used one since Xmas 1989.
              At the time it cost approximately £120.00. They did a cheaper model that is much wider on the extending part, which is black aluminium and looks odd.
              The 148 looks like an ordinary cue.
              I still get people fascinated by the cue's ability to extend now!
              It's been a godsend on many occasions, I hardly ever need to use a half-butt.

Regards,
              Simon

Comment

I've got one of these cues; bought it in 1992. It was endorsed by Joe Johnston. If he did use the cue, which I very much doubt, it's probably one of the reasons he didn't win another World championship because the cue is rubbish, as a cue. It emits a hollow sound when a ball is struck, the ash is crap, and the joint is a cheap wooden one. At least the balance is not an issue because there isn't any balance worth talking about.

But for the price it was a pretty versatile cue and I put a rest head on mine and now use it as an extendable rest. Otherwise it may have ended up as expensive fire wood.

Comment

THE TELECUE 148.This cue originated in the mid 80's and was the result of the early development of the cue extension developed by Roger Bucknall the maker of the original Barracuda cues. He and the guy Steve ? who first made the blue ray (now blue moon) push on extenda got together with what was considered at the time an innovative piece of equipment. Tony Knowles was the endorsing professional and even carried one out when playing in ranking tournaments (never saw him use it though). The 148 was just a marketing logo. I have an original butt section made in rosewood which has the blue moon extenda mechanism let into it and it has been used for well over 20 years in my coaching suite. Telescopic cues are still available and have their uses. Not by me I must add. F. :snooker:

Comment

I have a 1987 World Final Dvd and on that you can see Joe Johnston using one of these cues when he can't reach a shot with his conventional cue, might be able to see the frame in YouTube.

Comment

Joe Johnson and Telecue on You Tube

Originally Posted by S Davis Fan View Post
                      I have a 1987 World Final Dvd and on that you can see Joe Johnston using one of these cues when he can't reach a shot with his conventional cue, might be able to see the frame in YouTube.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJFsWOLS8i8&NR=1

at 3:45

Comment

Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
                        ......at 3:45
                        Good find

Comment

Thanks for the early responses.

I have just taken it to the table to get a feel for it. I can tell you it's suprisingly light considering. In terms of balance point, I found the most comfortable place to grip it was just behind the metal "plate" on the butt of the cue.

I have also attempted a few minutes playing with the rest. Seems durable enough. You can adjust the cue length once the "plate" in twisted clockwise; you may then lock the cue back into position by doing the reverse.
                          I have one

Comment

Hello everyone,

Many thanks
                            Sorry for the ten year delay and it’s probably finished but I have one and have done for the last twenty years and still use it now

Comment

About The Telescopic cue.
                              Many many years ago I entered a competition on a snooker programme and won the Tony Knowles Telescopic Cue.
                              money of a kind and really good to play with.

Comment

Working...
                              X