New Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Rob Raine View Post
    thanks, is there any advantage from having 3/4 jointed over a normal middle jointed cue?
    Rob In the "olden days" cues were all one piece. In the 1970's John Spencer started the fashion for split centre jointed cues and won the World Title. Everyone latched onto the two-piece mainly due to the fact that it was easier to carry around and fit into cars etc. Then came the 3/4 with the disadvantage that it was a bit longer and a bit more difficult to transport. Nowadays people seem to be moving back to one piece cos they like a cue that doesn't have a joint which can go wrong or produce a "funny" hit.
    The thing about a lot of snooker players (myself included) is they they're all searching for the perfect cue. The truth of the matter is that the cue is probably less important than technique and the natural (or taught) abilities of the player.
    Personnally I think you should take the time to research a little about cues and try to decide what you think might be good for you. Use the search thread and google and you'll find lots of information on picking a cue. It's interesting but maybe that's because I'm a "geek".
    If you're happy for someone else to choose a cue for you then there's loads of experts on the forum but the problem is you could end up being recommended several completely different types of cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
      Ive got a cracking omin macine spliced one piece for £60 if you want it Rob .
      id rather have a one that screws out and halfs becosue its easier to store and carry like big said above. My mate has got a old cue that he is going to give me that he doesnt like because its coasted in varnish so if your hands get sweaty then the cue sort of sticks if you get what i mean. anyway i could removed the varnish to make it feal natural?

Comment

Rob Trying out your mates cue for a while would be a good way forward. See how you get on and try to work out what you like and dislike. It's probably a bog standard cue with a bog standard specification. If you can, then measure it and weigh it and then you'll know what you're dealing with. A standard cue would be around 57"-58" in length. Weight around 17.5-18.5ozs. Tip size would be 9.5mm-10mm.
        The varnish thing is a common problem with the cheaper cues but can be rectified if you want to spend some time on it. There's loads of threads on removing the varnish with sandpaper/wire wool and giving it a coating of linseed oil. Just takes time and some tender loving care!!

Comment

Will have a browse to see if I can find the threads. I've got some oil as its the same oil you use on a cricket bat

Comment

good info and good advice
            Last edited by peeweedogue; 17 February 2011, 07:26 PM.
            Nice pot ! Thank you, but now I have "the munchies"

Comment

Working...
            X