Centre split vs 3/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centre split vs 3/4

What's the general consensus? I'm favouring a centre split for an Omin but was advised to go 3/4. One reason I'd prefer the centre split is due to decreased length of case which would make it easier to transport. Would there be a significant performance penalty for a centre split over a 3/4 split? Throw off balance? (surely the manufacturer can adjust?). Disrupt cue handling? A 1 piece is not an option.

Plan on using cue for UK 8 ball if that's of relevance.

Means as its for pool then i would say a center joint cue would be fine and theres no reason why a good one should,nt play as well as a 3/4 .

Comment

As Hotpot said, and if you get a good one, a good 1/2 split can be as good as a 3/4 cue. However, FYI, generally a 3/4 will be a heavier cue whereas a 1/2 split will balance further forward because of the joint position. As you said, however, a good cuemaker should be able to compensate.

There is another style you could choose, which is a 1-piece jointed above the splices. This enables you to have the transport benefits of a 3/4 with the feel of a 1-piece and the weight can also be kept down with this style. Personally, I think this is about the best compromise.

Good luck!
      Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

I was wondering the differences myself, perhaps there is a bit and perhaps there isn't
        Last edited by peeweedogue; 17 February 2011, 07:25 PM.
        Nice pot ! Thank you, but now I have "the munchies"

Comment

Originally Posted by Supe View Post
          What's the general consensus? I'm favouring a centre split for an Omin but was advised to go 3/4. One reason I'd prefer the centre split is due to decreased length of case which would make it easier to transport. Would there be a significant performance penalty for a centre split over a 3/4 split? Throw off balance? (surely the manufacturer can adjust?). Disrupt cue handling? A 1 piece is not an option.

Plan on using cue for UK 8 ball if that's of relevance.
          Your 2 piece cue will likely cost a little more and your cases will cost 'a lot' less.

Performance wise there is so much more to consider than where the join lies. I'm fairly sure there have been world champions who've used a one piece, a 2 piece, and a 3/4.

My first ever cue was a cheap catalogue cue with a center join and I knocked plenty of breaks in with it. I upgraded as I thought I'd try a 'fancier' cue. I still knocked plenty of breaks in with it. There has to be a reason for this. I'm not sure the main one was the position of the joint though. Go with your heart, and what ever makes you feel good. A psychological boost is almost as good as the cue itself.

Comment

I have tried a 1/2 jointed cue and the balance has been in the same place as my 1 piece cues. The weight was only 17.5 oz, so they do not have to be heavy at all. It also played very well.
            :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Slippy Shaft View Post
              Your 2 piece cue will likely cost a little more and your cases will cost 'a lot' less.

Performance wise there is so much more to consider than where the join lies. I'm fairly sure there have been world champions who've used a one piece, a 2 piece, and a 3/4.

My first ever cue was a cheap catalogue cue with a center join and I knocked plenty of breaks in with it. I upgraded as I thought I'd try a 'fancier' cue. I still knocked plenty of breaks in with it. There has to be a reason for this. I'm not sure the main one was the position of the joint though. Go with your heart, and what ever makes you feel good. A psychological boost is almost as good as the cue itself.
              It'll cost a lot more if the cue is ever sold too, centre join cues don't hold their value well at all from what I've seen.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Old cue collector --
              Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
              (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

3/4 for me, only reason being, when down on a shot my stubble doesnt then get caught in the join

Comment

A properly jointed two piece will hit every bit as good, just trying to find one is another matter. Personally I do not like brass or any metal on metal joints, I still do not know why it is used so much in snooker cues??. I prefer a course thread pin with phenolic collars and wood on wood contact, closest thing I've hit with to a one piece.

Comment

Working...
                  X