need advices on buying a cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    yes so take budget and totally ignore it!
    Well he did say he could raise his budget , a Robin Cooke is just within his budget .
    Last edited by hotpot; 11 September 2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

well guys, i have decided, im going for a plain ebony butt cue from trevor white.
      i not a big fan of butt with fancy designs,i prefer simple, more natural looking cue. in which case plain is perfect.

but anyway, thanks for your opinions, really appreciated

Comment

Davidwu Nothing wrong with that choice. Cues don't have to be fancy. Just well made. Let us know how you get on when you take delivery. I'd like a TW myself but the waiting would drive me mad!!!

Comment

Bigmeek, just order a cue and then forget about until it comes and use the one that you have. Time eventually passes.

My two TW cues arrived yesterday after a good wait. Hope to try one of them on Monday.
          :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
            Davidwu Nothing wrong with that choice. Cues don't have to be fancy. Just well made. Let us know how you get on when you take delivery. I'd like a TW myself but the waiting would drive me mad!!!
            no problem. i will post some pictures and how i feel about the cue. but it will be a long waiting.

Comment

Originally Posted by blinky88
              The cue I received from this guy is a good quality cue and if you cannot play good snooker with the cue he sends you shouldn't be spending 200-300 Euro cue because you simply cannot play. I firmly believe many of the cue's in the UK are grossly over priced, of course, this is only my opinion. Good service, good communication and value for money is a good recipe .... food for thought.

I expect a lot of flack from this rely ..but.. many of the people throwing S#*@ really wouldn't know what they are talking about as they haven't bought a cue from him. I'm 71 years of age, played snooker at the highest level down-under until spinal surgery almost 13 years ago, I now play for an hour a day and making progress, hope to soon be pklaying for 2 hours a day.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/snerker111/m.html
              they can't even spell mag's name right when stealing his image to sell a cheap cue! also - We signed Stephen Maguire who is famous World snooker champion in 2009. - was he i must have missed that!
              Last edited by ADR147; 14 September 2010, 05:22 PM.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Well i dont quite agree with that , you take a lot of good players cues away from them and unless the cue you give them suits them then they would,nt be able to play anywhere near their potential and will probably miss a lot of shots they would normally pots and their position will be nowhere near as accurate .

I agree that a dear cue wont necessarily make you a better player but a lot of people who have bought cues from top end makers obviously like the cues and the way they play .

I for one quite enjoy trying cues out from top cue makers , and so far every one i,ve purcashed has been a work of art and faboulas to play with , so i would say that the odds of getting a poor one is very low indeed , and thats why most folk will go back and buy from them again and again . They,ve built their reputatrion on building first class cues .

where if you buy a cheapish cue you just dont know what to expect . Its a bit of a lottery .

Another positive about buying a top end cue is that it will not lose no value and selling it on is usually no trouble at all .

Comment

The cue I received from this guy is a good quality cue and if you cannot play good snooker with the cue he sends you shouldn't be spending 200-300 Euro on a cue because you simply cannot play. I firmly believe many of the cue's in the UK are grossly over priced, of course, this is only my opinion. Good service, good communication and value for money is a good recipe .... food for thought.

I expect a lot of flack from this rely ..but.. many of the people throwing S#*@ really wouldn't know what they are talking about as they haven't bought a cue from him. I'm 71 years of age, played snooker at the highest level down-under until spinal surgery almost 13 years ago, I now play for an hour a day and making progress, hope to soon be playing for 2 hours a day.

sorry i find it hard to agree with you. coz i believe buying a good cue is necessary for making the game more fun, not making myself better. just like everyone would love to drive a nice car but not everyone is great at driving. so i dont mind spend a lot of money on something that will not improve my skill, as long as it make me feel better and provide more entertainment.

Comment

The cue I received from this guy is a good quality cue and if you cannot play good snooker with the cue he sends you shouldn't be spending 200-300 Euro on a cue because you simply cannot play. I firmly believe many of the cue's in the UK are grossly over priced, of course, this is only my opinion. Good service, good communication and value for money is a good recipe .... food for thought.

I expect a lot of flack from this rely ..but.. many of the people throwing S#*@ really wouldn't know what they are talking about as they haven't bought a cue from him. I'm 71 years of age, played snooker at the highest level down-under until spinal surgery almost 13 years ago, I now play for an hour a day and making progress, hope to soon be playing for 2 hours a day.

I quite like the look of the second one 57"MULTI-HANDSPLICED INDONESIA ROSEWOOD SNOOKER CUE#C8

Comment

Well i have to say mucka that in my opinon for what its worths , for you to say that if a player cant play with a certain brand of cue then he cant play snooker is completely rubbish .

Yes you can play great snooker with a rack cue if it suits you but if it dont you cant , simple as .

When you pay good money for a cue you are guaranteed that the woods used will be of good quality and the workmanship and attention to detail will be spot on .

As with any tradesman the more pride they take in their work , the more time they take to ensure everything is bang on and you pay the going rate .

Of course they could use cheap wood and turn them out in a fraction of the time , sell them for a fraction of the price , but will their customers keep coming back , i doubt it .

Comment

Blinky what has who i,ve played or beaten got to do with it , absolutely zero .

Although i cant claim to have taken Eddy Charlton to the yellow ,or beat Piers Morgan , sorry i meant Paddy . I,m not the worse player around either and can play the game to a pretty decent standard but dont like to blow my own trumpet .

Still your qoute of players who cant play wityh the brand your recommending cant play at all is total crap .

Comment

Hotspot,

How old are you and who have you played and beaten of any standing, my guess would be no-one. A would be if you could be, I expect to find more than 1 on every forum.

MY very last words, subject over. I suggest anyone thinking of buying a cue should try one of these 'value for money' cue's, I am absolutely certain you will not be disappointed. Who knows you may all see the cue's in the UK suddenly drop in price to compete with him .... competition, is good for every consumer. If suddenly people started using these cue's the manufacturers in the UK would have to drop their prices to compete .... food for thought.
                          a thought for you blinky - it would not be possible to buy the wood to make a decent cue for the money those hk cues are costing - and if you can't tell the difference then please explain to me why 95%+ of the century breakers in the world own a top cue - maybe not all uk made, but i promise you there are not many great players out there with a cue that cost $45aus (£26) !!! and i have played against and supplied lots of good players!

Comment

oh and i don't think pointing out that maguire has and 'e' on the end or that he was not world champion is protecting my business - if i cared about that i would just delete your comical post! my business works by building a reputation that people come back to for selling the best snooker products money can buy. i would make much more money selling cheap chinese cues but i am at heart a snooker fan not a chinese business tycoon.

Comment

Things seem to be getting a bit heated here!

ADR is right, the raw materials alone would cost more than £26 and i wouldn't be surprised at all if the butts on those cues are just well painted.

However I also feel that it would be unfair to suggest that no one could play well with them. If you have the most expensive cue in the world but do not have a decent technique, or at least a decent grasp of the concepts behind playing a successful game of snooker, then the cue isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.

That being said I think it is also true that if you play snooker to a decent standard then as well as being able to appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into a top quality cue, you will also be able to see how superior they are in terms of 'feel' and the response you get out of them.

A cue made by the likes of Trevor White or John Parris etc etc is made to perform to the highest standard and as such will have very few, if any limitations, unlike mass produced Chinese cues which are not built to the same meticulous standards and do not generally perform with the same consistency as cues from the top makers in Britain.

Comment

As i mentioned in other thread, even though im a chinese but i will not suggest people to buy chinese cues if they have the money to go for british cue. they are just better. its like comparing swiss watch and well made japanese watch, maybe the latter is more accurate and advanced but swiss watches are just better overall. coz they are the expert. like the british cue craftmen, they are masters, its their personal skills and experience make their cue better and more expensive not due to the materials used.

Comment

Working...
                                X