Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nees some tips on tips!

Mates!

I've been playing for 10 years now, but never really bettered the 43 I made 7 years ago. Would often reach mid twenties but never far. So that makes me a novice here, I suppose.

I got a new 18 oz cue recently with a 9.5 MM tip which is VERY hard. I find it difficult to play shots with heavy english, and ends up mis-hit (i dont like to believe it is because I play badly!).

I am not very good with long shots, i am more of an 'approximate' position player. Like a pool player. Hence not a good snooker player.

Now, the tip I currently use is 9MM, hard and almost 4-5 MMthick,
    would a thinner tip help in better control?
    If i take a soft tip, would that help my position play better? or is it just a mental thing?
    Would a smaller dia tip help my kind of play?

Any help would be appreciated a lot!

Cheers!
    Sudeep

sudeep I'll leave it up to the experts to advise you on tip size etc but there's a really good post by ADR147 on the types of tips available. It's a 9 page document and well worth a read. Have a look at ADR's posts and you'll find it.

Comment

Thanks! I will look that up. :-)

Comment

First of all i wouldnt put a 9mm tip on a 9.5 mm cue so whatever tip you choose then put a 9.5 mm or 10 mm on .

Tips are a very personnal thing with some liking softer tips and others preferring harder ones . I would try an elkmaster first and see how it goes .

Pheraps the problem is more to do with your cueing rather than the tips , so i would practice soft touch shots around the black etc , then when you feel comfortable you can pheraps try medium pots where you control the cue ball and so on until you feel you are cueing well enough to tackle the longer pots .

Its important to try ang get the basics right , solid stance , firm bridge , keeping still on the shot and concentrate on pushing the cue through straight , which sound a lot easier to do than they are .

Comment

Originally Posted by sudeep View Post
          Thanks! I will look that up. :-)
          Found it for you!
          http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...p+guide&page=7

Comment

Thanks, Hotpot. I know there is a lot I have to do about my game, than the cue. lol.
            I did have a feeling that I would get used to the hard tip, and it just takes time; but I feel I am not able to play shots that i normally play easily with my earlier cue!
            I will need to fix a few basics as well, for sure!

Comment

Sudeep , all cues will have a different feel and will throw the white ball different even on close shots , so it may take you a good while to get used to your cue and how it plays .

That saying i have found that tip vary in the amount the pull and throw the cue ball , i find laminated tips throw less than some pressed and are more forgiving when using side .

Comment

Aahhh! Thanks hotpot!

Thats the kind of advice i am looking for. So the elkmaster tips are worth a try you feel?
                I dont know where I can get them in India - we're pretty much in stone age when it comes to pool/snooker accessory availability. There is just 2 stores in the entire city of about 6 million people!

I have downloaded the PDF and am goin thru it on the side as well.

Comment

Yes i would say although the elk is a pressed tip , they are a solid tip that dont pull the ball as much as a pro granite for example , imo .

Try an elk and see how it goes , i find with an elk its best not to shape them to the size you want straight away , rather shape a bit with say a 340 grit , play in for a bit as it will loose size , and then see if you neen to shape n reduce size again , to your desired height . Its better to do it in stages

Comment

Thanks Bigmeek, i loved the article! Helps a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X