Best place to buy a cue in sheffield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place to buy a cue in sheffield?

Can anyone recomend a good shop in Sheffield to buy a cue? I've been told to try Martin Chesworth but i was wondering if there were any other shops to try. Im looking to spend around £300 as its for my boyfriend for xmas.

He's 50-100 pound dearer than he should be on all his range.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jepposbird View Post
      Can anyone recomend a good shop in Sheffield to buy a cue? I've been told to try Martin Chesworth but i was wondering if there were any other shops to try. Im looking to spend around £300 as its for my boyfriend for xmas.
      why £300 ? does he know about this gift - a cue is a very personal thing.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Buying him a cue, lucky man!

But, like ADR says choosing a cue can be a very personal process. You could buy the best quality cue available for £300 and it just might not feel right to him.

Does he play a lot of snooker? do you know the specifications of his existing cue i.e. length, weight, tip size, butt size, ash or maple ..

If he's like me, has a cheap cue, and hasn't tried a lot of different cues, then just about any 'standard' size/type of cue you can buy for £300 will likely be very well received. Someone other than me can probably tell you what size 'standard' is, I don't really know for sure. I think 57" inches, but if he is really tall you may be looking at 58" or 59"

You might even be able to get a custom cue made and shipped by xmas, or you could buy a nice 2nd hand one from this very forum. However, you do have to be a little careful as you can get all sorts here. Going by a persons post count, or doing a search to find previous conversations/deals they have been involved in would be a good idea.

Take me for example, not too many posts because I am relatively new here, but then .. I'm not trying to sell you a cue and you're free/welcome to take my advice or leave it.

Best of luck!
        "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
        - Linus Pauling

Comment

lol - well i will sell you something - in reality if you are going to spend this sort of money on a cue then you should ask me rather than go into a shop because firstly there are very few shops that stock this kind of quality cue and secondly those that do are expensive!
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Jepposbird Buying a cue for someone else is a bit dodgy as others have said but if you can get the train up to Kippax near Leeds there's a shop called Craftsman Cues who have a lot in stock and the folks there are really helpful. Worth buying a nice case to hold it in.

Comment

As others have said, Martin Chesworth is very expensive, especially at that sort of price range. The best things to do are contact ADR147, Dave Coutts of Coutts Cues or Craftsman in Kippax, but ADR and Dave are really your best bet, as they have that sort of thing in stock and will steer you right.

One other thing: it really is risky buying a cue for someone else, because even with the best will in the world it's a lottery. I've bought cues custom made for me, to my exact specs, and I've not been able to play with them, and I know what I'm doing! The best thing to do is try and involve your boyfriend in the choosing process so as he can orient you towards what he likes, and then he'll get the ideal cue for Xmas.

Good luck!!
              Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

hi jepposbird were are you in sheffield ile take your boyfriend to a bloke i know or he can have look at some ive got jim

Comment

Thanks everyone!!!
                  He doesn't know he's getting the cue yet but i'll be dragging him with me when i go to buy it as i haven't got a clue what i'm shopping for lol i'll just be there to pay.

Comment

Wish you were my girlfriend

Comment

cue in sheffield

hi again jepposbird thers only martin with a shop in sheffield all the other places are snooker clubs and you will pay more for what you get,were does he play a snooker club or is it for pool in the local jim

Comment

he plays for The Richmond A team

Comment

cue sheffield

hi again jessopsbird that must be in the 3/4 league theres no richmond in the wednesday fullsize league i play for hartley house club shiregreen

Comment

cue sheffield

hi again jessopsbird or is it pool i think they have a pool team

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                              As others have said, Martin Chesworth is very expensive, especially at that sort of price range. The best things to do are contact ADR147, Dave Coutts of Coutts Cues or Craftsman in Kippax, but ADR and Dave are really your best bet, as they have that sort of thing in stock and will steer you right.

One other thing: it really is risky buying a cue for someone else, because even with the best will in the world it's a lottery. I've bought cues custom made for me, to my exact specs, and I've not been able to play with them, and I know what I'm doing! The best thing to do is try and involve your boyfriend in the choosing process so as he can orient you towards what he likes, and then he'll get the ideal cue for Xmas.

Good luck!!
                              We don't have shops like that on oz, but if you go into Chesworth's shop and find a cue that you like, then that certainty (as opposed to ordering by internet, custom made or seller's recommendation - I've tried all three with ordinary results) is worth and extra 50-100 quid. You're saving at least that much if you don't have to sell it on because you don't like it.
                              Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Working...
                              X