Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cue advice

Alright lads,

I have been browsing the forum for a week or so now reading about all the info on cues that has been posted in the past and I am still not any further forward in deciding what to do with regards to a new cue that I have been promising myself for the last couple of months.

My problem is that I have only ever had 2 cues in my life, my 1st a generic out of a sports shop buy as a young teenager then I got given a cue from my uncle which I had for a number of years. I liked the weight of that cue but not the tip size, also I have no idea the type of wood used for the shaft so when reading about ash or maple I have no idea which I prefer.

I am willing to spend about £250 as it is my 1st cue I do not want ot go too overboard but I was hoping to get a case with it for that as well.

I also play a lot of 8 ball uk pool so I would like to use it for both if possible and was jsut looking for some opinions on what manufacturer to possibly use to get it made. I am not in any rush so waiting times are not a problem.

Pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated from the experts on here!

Originally Posted by MacB View Post
    Alright lads,

I have been browsing the forum for a week or so now reading about all the info on cues that has been posted in the past and I am still not any further forward in deciding what to do with regards to a new cue that I have been promising myself for the last couple of months.

My problem is that I have only ever had 2 cues in my life, my 1st a generic out of a sports shop buy as a young teenager then I got given a cue from my uncle which I had for a number of years. I liked the weight of that cue but not the tip size, also I have no idea the type of wood used for the shaft so when reading about ash or maple I have no idea which I prefer.

I am willing to spend about £250 as it is my 1st cue I do not want ot go too overboard but I was hoping to get a case with it for that as well.

I also play a lot of 8 ball uk pool so I would like to use it for both if possible and was jsut looking for some opinions on what manufacturer to possibly use to get it made. I am not in any rush so waiting times are not a problem.

Pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated from the experts on here!
    where do you live mate?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Motherwell buddy

Comment

Originally Posted by MacB View Post
        Alright lads,

What was wrong with the tip size? Too big or to small? Did the shaft have a distinct grain (ash) or was it a light colour with virtually no visible grain (maple)?
        I am willing to spend about £250 as it is my 1st cue I do not want ot go too overboard but I was hoping to get a case with it for that as well. ADR should be able to help you with that, or try Stu Green at Green Baize, Dave Coutts of Coutts Cues or Craftsman Cues - all of them should be able to provide a quality cue and case package for £250.

I play a lot of 8ball too, and have a cue(s) with 8 - 8.5mm tips for that game. For snooker I'd go for something around 9.5mm. If you really want a cue to play both with, I'd recommend a 9 - 9.3mm tip, big enough for the heavier snooker balls but small enough for the small white in 8ball.
        Hope all this helps!
        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
          Hope all this helps!
          thanks for that mate, it has a grain so must be ash and the wood is dark. Think I would stick with that kind of wood. I will check out those places, thanks for your input mate.

Comment

No worries, glad I could help - good luck with the hunt!
            Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Working...
            X