New local cue - Blue Diamond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New local cue - Blue Diamond

Had two cues made locally (South Africa) and thought that I would post it - hope I have attached the photo's correctly

Clearly it does not compare with the standard of cues that you are used to seeing on this forum, but maybe you will be interested to see it nevertheless. Woods used are not truly exotic as you know it, as I could only use what could be sourced locally. Cues have not been oiled / polish at time that photo's was taken.

It is a maple cue with four main splices of imbuia, four secondary splices of snakewood over a white veneer and a single splice of ironwood.

The second cue (visible in the group photo) is a very conservative wood-on -wood design with no veneers. Four main splices of snakewood, four secondary splices of ironwood and a single splice of walnut.

58 inches, 18 ounces, tip 9.5mm, 29mm butt end.

The last photo shows my modest collection of cues at present- Two Joe Davis Club cues, the two Blue Diamond cues, a Riley cue and a Union Super Pro Cue.

:snooker:
    Attached Files

I just know SA also have cue maker ,The snakewood you used don't have dots....
    woodscue@gmail.com

Easy way to custom made your cue

www.handmade-cue.com

Comment

Maybe the woods aren't as we are used to seeing them over here, and aren't 'exotic' as you said, nonetheless they make mighty nice cue butts! Very harmonious-looking, especially the maple cue with imbuia, snakewood and ironwood which I like very much indeed. The snakewood used on your cues is certainly very different to the 'figured' snakewood found on cues made in the UK and Asia, but I like its warm toned look much better tbh. The imbuia is very pleasant to look at too.

Congrats on your collection, you've got some really nice lookers there. How do they play?
      Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Hi Kevin / KethinFrance,

Thank you for the comments. I remember when I bought the wood that the one piece was marked "snakewood beam". Agree that it does not look like the dotted snakewood at all - probably a misrepresentation/description?

Nevertheless, it contrasts well with the other woods used and is actually quite nice so I don't mind. The cuemaker had woods like purpleheart, olive, birdseye maple, etc available, for me to choose from, but I wanted to do my own thing and use some of the "other" woods that I know and like. Imbuia being an old favourite.

I think that there is a lot of nice hardwoods available which does not normally feature on cues, but which looks pretty good. Maybe the guys should experiment a bit more

Took the cue to the club today and won a hard session 5-3 against a good player so it did not let me down and played very nicely. Will only be able to say for sure after a few weeks.

Cheers

Comment

Congrats on your victory! 5-3 against a good player with a new cue sounds like a good performance to me - fingers crossed for the next couple of weeks then...!
          Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
            Congrats on your victory! 5-3 against a good player with a new cue sounds like a good performance to me - fingers crossed for the next couple of weeks then...!
            Thank you that is very kind. I was all over the place for the first few frames trying to get used to the smaller tip, extra power (the added weight as well as the fact that it has a brass ferrule compared to "plastic" feerls on my old cues) and could not manage any decent (for me) breaks.

Then I got used to it and things became a lot better. Part of the exitement of any new cue is figuring out how it plays. So far this one plays well but not yet to the level that I was used to with my old Joe Davis Club cue.

Seeing that I have two Club cues, maybe I should keep one for the collection and fit a brass ferrule on the one that is my favourite playing cue and see if I can modernise it to play the power shots needed today?

Comment

I know what you mean about the excitement of playing with a new cue, and trying to figure out how it plays - it can be very frustr ... eh, I mean exciting indeed! Lol

With regards to the Club cues, I'm not so sure about trying to modernise either to be able to play power shots, as I think it's the shaft you'd need to change and not the ferrule. Sure, changing the ferrule will give you a different 'feel' to the shots, but it won't add any power to the cue. Generally speaking you need a stiffer shaft, perhaps more weight (debatable), and very good timing, which can come from more familiarity with the cue, to give you more power when playing. If your 2 new cues have stiffer shafts than your Club cues then you might be able to 'retire' both to your collection ...

Let us know how you get on!

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                I know what you mean about the excitement of playing with a new cue, and trying to figure out how it plays - it can be very frustr ... eh, I mean exciting indeed! Lol

With regards to the Club cues, I'm not so sure about trying to modernise either to be able to play power shots, as I think it's the shaft you'd need to change and not the ferrule. Sure, changing the ferrule will give you a different 'feel' to the shots, but it won't add any power to the cue. Generally speaking you need a stiffer shaft, perhaps more weight (debatable), and very good timing, which can come from more familiarity with the cue, to give you more power when playing. If your 2 new cues have stiffer shafts than your Club cues then you might be able to 'retire' both to your collection ...

Let us know how you get on!
                I think you are 100% right, the Club cues definatly have more whippy shafts than the new cues. The reason for commissioning the two new cues was to overcome the limitations of the older cues (whippy shafts, light weight, non-brass ferrules) and they have all the right ingredients to do just that - up to me now to keep playing with them and to see if they grow on me :snooker:

Will now officially retire the two club cues in their original condition to the collection

Comment

Very sound decision - I hope your 2 new cues live up to your expectations!

Comment

Working...
                  X