Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

adding weight.....lead shoot and silicone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding weight.....lead shoot and silicone?

Hello, this is my first post and need a little advice, thanks in advanced for any replies.

I have a two piece cue, centre joint. Weighs in at 16oz with a balance point at 19". I am thinking of changing the weight to 17-17.5oz by adding some weight to the butt with lead shoot and silicone. There is a slight hollow in the butt already that will accept enough lead shoot and by doing so will move the balance forward to 17.5-18" from the butt which is much more to my liking.

My question is, has anyone ever used lead shoot and silicone or a similar material to change weight? I was thinking of melting some lead but am a little concerned about the heat damaging the wood/butt.

All the best,
    Hudd

a little more info if needed...

The cue is a 'Mast Wales' Champion cue. 57.5" in length, it has a joint to take an extension, but beyond that joint, the butt has a hollow about 75mm deep by 5 or 6mm in width......this is where the extra weight will go.

Hudd

Comment

what is this slight hollow & how do you know where the balance point will finish?

Comment

I have balanced the cue on the back of a chair and placed an ounce coin and a half(about 46grams) on the butt approximately 3" to 4" from the butt. When doing this the balance point is shifted forward to 17.5", but i appreciate that the weight may be distributed slighty differently but estimate the balance to end up bewteen 17.5" and 18" from the butt.

Hudd

Comment

The 'slight hollow' is basically a hole in the butt 75mm in length by 6mm, approximately.

Hudd

Comment

i see, is the hollow inside the butt below the joint?

Comment

That is correct. I can see the joint and through that I can see into the butt.

Hudd

Comment

so you intend pouring the lead past the joint into the butt?

Comment

Yes. I think the mix of silicone and shoot will hold. What do you think?

Many thanks
                  Hudd

Comment

You could try it by yourself, and why not, but you could also contact Trevor White who is the maker of your cue, or a local cuemaker if you have one, and get a pro to do the job for you. What you're going to do sounds ok in theory, but it might be better to ask a cuemaker first.

Whereabouts in the UK are you?
                    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm in Canterbury, Kent.

Hudd

Comment

I don't think there's a cuemaker local to you, but you could contact Mastercraft, the guys there are generally very helpful. Here's a link: http://www.mastercraft-cues.co.uk/ You'll find their contact details on the site.

Hope this helps!
                        Keith
                        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Cheers
                          Hudd

Comment

So, you can see into the wood when you look into the SD joint?
                            I assume you are aware what you have is a Trevor White cue, right?
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Yep and yep

Hudd

Comment

Working...
                              X