Fake JP Mannock???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake JP Mannock???

Ive just met up with a mate who got a JP Mannock Anti Grip cue in ash, its just 52" not that hes bothered as its for collecting purposes, however much to my suprise.
    The ebony splicing is hand made style, all the Mannock's ive seen are the pointed machine splice.
    Did Burroughs and Watts make any in ebony hand spliced style?
    Cos im fairly sure this is a fake.
    Please confirm, i'll post photos as soon as i can

This one i presume ?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VERY-RARE-CUE-...item45f59099f0

I asked the seller the same question, as i too believed all mannocks were machine spliced

Comment

Photos

Photos inc
      Attached Files

Comment

Defo a fake rob. Cheers. Jeff.

Comment

Called the guy, told him it was a fake, he said did i say it was "original" what a joke, anyway my mate is getting a full refund, so happy ending

Comment

as far as i am aware handspliced mannocks are very rare indeed. and only in pearwood.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

i'm also 100% certain that they made handspliced mannocks, a local player around here, roy mountjoy (cousin of doug) plays with one, it's a pearwood shaft but i have seen one in maple, an old fella who's name escapes me used to play in our snooker league and he had one, donkeys years old it was.....he dont play anymore, the cue's probably sat in his house doing nothing now!

have you also seen the mannocks where the 2 sets of splicings are machined?

Comment

Wow, learn something new everyday. Thanks.
                So, there are indeed hand spliced Mannock.
                Do you know if they were only made in a certain period or as a custom order or something?
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Only ever seen two fully hand spliced J.P Mannocks.

They were both owned by a pretty serious collector, and were ancient. The butt diameter on them was about 35mm, and the taper of them was much more a billiard style shape and would be completely unuseable for snooker (or much else for that matter). They were also very very short.

I have seen many many reproduction (or fake if you prefer that decription) type Mannocks though, and in fact, have made some myself for a very limited number of people.

These would always be easy to spot as new cues though, as they were not in the slightest way a similar shape to original Mannocks.

Older Mannocks are pretty easy to spot. Things such as timbers used, gluelines, splice length and shape, weight stamps, makers stamps, bottom of butt ends, ferrules and even the smell of them, are some of the indicators.

Even the very best of "faked" cues won't get by the eyes of those people with REAL knowledge. At least not most of the time.

Comment

Originally Posted by Snookster View Post
                    Ive just met up with a mate who got a JP Mannock Anti Grip cue in ash, its just 52" not that hes bothered as its for collecting purposes, however much to my suprise.
                    Really? Oh wow...

Comment

Are pretty much all original Mannock thick on the butt, like over 30mm? If I come across one with a 28mm butt, can it still be real?
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                        Are pretty much all original Mannock thick on the butt, like over 30mm? If I come across one with a 28mm butt, can it still be real?
                        Possibly, I know a guy who has a genuine Mannock and the butt end is incredibly thin. Did they make a version of the Mannock for ladies with slimmer butts? I mean the cue butt, not ladies butts
                        #jeSuisByrom

Comment

mannocks

ive seen 4 mannock cues and they all had slim butts because they were the pear ones ive got a mannock ash and that butt is thicker so it might depend on what they were made from

Comment

Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
                            Possibly, I know a guy who has a genuine Mannock and the butt end is incredibly thin. Did they make a version of the Mannock for ladies with slimmer butts? I mean the cue butt, not ladies butts
                            Yes there was a ladies version of the Mannock I believe. Very rare also.
                            sigpic <---New Website
                            Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

mannocks

just remembered ive got a 2 piece mannock as well in pear that as a slim butt like i said i think it depends what they are made of have heard of a hornbeam mannock but dont no how valid cant recall a maple 1 but there prob is the old cue masters new there trade very well and will have tried all different woods i would like to know and see how they spliced them it must be hard because not many newer cue makers do the same design

Comment

Working...
                              X