• Show
Clear All

Mayur J

interesting post

Trevs1

Thank you for your opinion sharing

Comment

Originally Posted by oscarthegrouch View Post
      i use a broom stick grouch, maybe if i had a decent cue i might find my ambition to play a bit more.

What cue do you use trevs1 what is it made like and why?
      Well, I can answer this question as I persuaded Trev to sell me his very own playing cue as he no longer has time or inclination to play!! It is very similar spec to Ryan Days cue.......lovely 3/4 joined straight grain ash which is what Trev uses to sight along.......approx 57.5in long, approx 9.25mm tip size......approx 17oz weight and the shaft is as smooth as Angelina Jolies thighs!! Trev gets the most amazing silky smooth finish on his ash cues. It also has an amboyna burl face splice which is lovely. Cues don't come any better than this.........:snooker:

Oldgit
      'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post

...I would make one point though, it is possible to predict pretty well what a cue will perform like before it's made, but, only when the specs of such a cue are within certain parameters. Where it becomes a little less predictable is when you have to follow a the guidance given by the person paying to have a cue built. At times, their choice on that is perhaps not the best one they could make to get the very best cue.
        hi trevor, could you kindly elaborate within what sort of specs or parameters would make a good performing cue?

the last thing i want to do when ordering a handmade cue is to restrict the cue maker from making a good performing cue by giving unsuitable specs.

thank you...
        ========

in response to this thread, i am of the opinion that a good cue maker need not necessarily be a good player. i think it's more important that he understands the characteristics of what constitute a good cue. he must, of course, be a good craftsman and have the ability to discern the right materials to build the cue.
        When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Originally Posted by damienlch View Post
          hi trevor, could you kindly elaborate within what sort of specs or parameters would make a good performing cue?

the last thing i want to do when ordering a handmade cue is to restrict the cue maker from making a good performing cue by giving unsuitable specs.

thank you...
          ========

in response to this thread, i am of the opinion that a good cue maker need not necessarily be a good player. i think it's more important that he understands the characteristics of what constitute a good cue. he must, of course, be a good craftsman and have the ability to discern the right materials to build the cue.
          at last sense! - a lot of people especially from china give very specific details of what they want it a cue exactly how many arrows etc etc etc - you don't get a builder in then tell him how to do his job! - a great tip from me to anyone buying a top class cue - trust the cue maker they know a lot more about cues than any of the players! as to the original question mike and trevor are both good players but i don't think JP plays?
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by damienlch View Post

thank you...
            ========

Hi,

I, too, share the same opinion as you. Making a cue and making a century require two different sets of skill. There are thousands of players who have made centuries, but only a handful of good snooker cue makers.

John Parris is not a century break builder but I dont think any pro would hesitate to trust John with building a cue for him. Will Hunt is without a doubt another master cue maker, is he a regular century builder?

For most cues with normal spec such as 57-58", 29-30mm butt, 9.5-10mm tip...I think most cue makers would have more confidence with the end result as it has been done many times-- but if say with a cue that is 35mm thick in the butt, with a 8mm tip, and is 54" long, it becomes tricky.

Just like with anything else, it requires experience to figure out the best way to build such a cue(what kind of taper should be used, what is the ideal balance point...)--since this kind of odd ball spec is not always being made, it is much harder to get them "spot on."

In my humble opinon, the most important things in cue making are the understanding of why a cue does what it does, and the knowledge of how to make a cue do what your customer wants it to do.

It is a never ending learning process.
            Last edited by poolqjunkie; 14 October 2010, 08:42 PM.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
              Hi,

I, too, share the same opinion as you. Making a cue and making a century require two different sets of skill. There are thousands of players who have made centuries, but only a handful of good snooker cue makers.

John Parris is not a century break builder but I dont think any pro would hesitate to trust John with building a cue for him. Will Hunt is without a doubt another master cue maker, is he a regular century builder?

For most cues with normal spec such as 57-58", 29-30mm butt, 9.5-10mm tip...I think most cue makers would have more confidence with the end result as it has been done many times-- but if say with a cue that is 35mm thick in the butt, with a 8mm tip, and is 54" long, it becomes tricky.

Just like with anything else, it requires experience to figure out the best way to build such a cue(what kind of taper should be used, what is the ideal balance point...)--since this kind of odd ball spec is not always being made, it is much harder to get them "spot on."

In my humble opinon, the most important things in cue making are the understanding of why a cue does what it does, and the knowledge of how to make a cue do what your customer wants it to do.

It is a never ending learning process.
              Ya, well said pqj! Why a cue does what it does???? Gosh, if that could be explained with any level of accuracy and completeness, you could sell a book on it!! :snooker:
              Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
              My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Working...
              X