Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Wool Experience

Hello guys,

I have been reading a lot lately on different threads about members using fine or 0000 wire/steel wool in order to clean their ferrules and make them shine! Other members extend the benefit of wire wool and use it to clean their cues!

I always wanted my ferrule to look nice and clean so I thought this is it I have to try wire wool and use its magic!

Unfortunately! The outcome didn't quiet turn out the way I expected! Thank goodness I haven't used it over my current cue, I thought I would try it first on an old BCE cue that I have to make sure of the results, and this is what I got.

The ferrule rather than turning sleeky got scratched in circles (I followed one instruction on the ferrule which says use the wire wool in one direction), and when rubbing it against the shaft a very thin layer was removed and the air was filled with wood dust! Not to mention that the shaft also was scratched notably (check pictures I took).

Can someone explain where did I go wrong? Or what differently should I have done?

Please view the pictures below.

Thank you all for your time.

Kind regards,

It's not the pace of life that concerns me... It's whether I make a 147 break before it ends!
    Quote © to Craftman Cues.

Are ou sure it was 0000 . I use it on ferrule and to give the shaft a light rub now and again and have never had any problems . i find it hard to believe that 0000 grade would cause such damage , even if you rubbed as hard as you could , i dont think it would end up that bad .

It looks like the ferrule has been rubbed up and down by looking at the marks , where i would suggest just wrapping it around the ferrule and turing the cue in one direction .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
      i would suggest just wrapping it around the ferrule and turing the cue in one direction .
      This ^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
        Are ou sure it was 0000 . I use it on ferrule and to give the shaft a light rub now and again and have never had any problems . i find it hard to believe that 0000 grade would cause such damage , even if you rubbed as hard as you could , i dont think it would end up that bad .

It looks like the ferrule has been rubbed up and down by looking at the marks , where i would suggest just wrapping it around the ferrule and turing the cue in one direction .
        Yeah I guess it looked something like this:

The up and down marks are old and existed long ago, the new marks because of the wire wool are the consistent circle ones if you notice all around the ferrule
        It's not the pace of life that concerns me... It's whether I make a 147 break before it ends!
        Quote © to Craftman Cues.

Comment

It looks more like you used barbed wire on that cue.

Do not believe all you read on here. Just be careful what you do with your cue.
          :snooker:

Comment

King T

I think that your wire wool is not #0000 class

Comment

No way was that done with 0000 grade wire wool, a brillo pad more like.

You can lick 0000 grade it's so fine.

Comment

You don't need a shiny ferrule anyway unless you're selling, it'll only distract your attention from the cueball.
                Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Well the guy used it on an old BCE cue and is just asking what he did wrong. And I like shiny ferrules, never a distraction IMO.

Plus, he may sell his cue(s) in the future so its just better to master the technique.

Comment

Originally Posted by King T View Post
                    Hello guys,

I have been reading a lot lately on different threads about members using fine or 0000 wire/steel wool in order to clean their ferrules and make them shine! Other members extend the benefit of wire wool and use it to clean their cues!

I always wanted my ferrule to look nice and clean so I thought this is it I have to try wire wool and use its magic!

Unfortunately! The outcome didn't quiet turn out the way I expected! Thank goodness I haven't used it over my current cue, I thought I would try it first on an old BCE cue that I have to make sure of the results, and this is what I got.

The ferrule rather than turning sleeky got scratched in circles (I followed one instruction on the ferrule which says use the wire wool in one direction), and when rubbing it against the shaft a very thin layer was removed and the air was filled with wood dust! Not to mention that the shaft also was scratched notably (check pictures I took).

Can someone explain where did I go wrong? Or what differently should I have done?

Kind regards,

Hi,
                    I am afraid you might need to sand this shaft down with some sand paper until it is smooth again. Just start with something not too coarse, perhaps 350, then go finer and finer until the deep lines are gone. You can polish the ferrule with 600-800 grits gently.
                    I dont use any wirewool myself.
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

0000 Wire Wool from the UK is ok leaves No Marks like the Picture shows.

I Normally use Very Used Very Fine Finishing Paper looks beautiful and Shiney which I personally like and leaves no marks what so ever.

Comment

So far i'm using a expensive #00000 grade wire wool from england and a cheap #0000 grade wire wool from china, i'm applying very light force and only sand a few times when needed, so far no problem to me, if not my cue will become an toothpick soon.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5NJt...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObX6G...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzNirO2VkH4
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1uYI...eature=related

Comment

Hello guys,

Kind regards,

Is it an expensive cue? heart pain
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5NJt...eature=related
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObX6G...eature=related
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzNirO2VkH4
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1uYI...eature=related

Comment

Never Seen 00000 Wire Wool? Where abouts did you get that from in UK.

I have been into Snooker/Pool Over 30yrs never seen anywhere selling that.

Comment

Hello guys,

Kind regards,

somebody has confused wire wool with barbed wire!
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                              X