Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is a Snooker cue strong enough for 9ball tournament ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is a Snooker cue strong enough for 9ball tournament ?

hey people , i would like to ask is it okay if i were to use my snooker cue to play in pool? because i have a 9 ball tournament this sunday and i dont feel comfortable using a pool cue .But i have friends telling me that its not advisable because a snooker cue might not be strong enough for pool balls. (but i dont use my snooker cue to break , i only use it as a playing cue .)

Snooker cues are fine for 9 ball i cant see it being a problem even for the thinnest of cues .

Comment

Nothing will happen to it. The cues are not that weak. I wouldn't do it all the time though. Just stay away from extreme edges of the cueball and you'll do fine. Make sure you cue straight, because 9.5mm tip looks really really small when put against 57.2mm pool cueball.
      Last edited by ace man; 24 December 2010, 08:36 AM.

Comment

alright thanks guys . Merry Christmas in advance !

Comment

my 9 ball pool cue is a snooker cue :P 9.7mm tip, really stiff ash, one of the stiffest responsive cues ive ever played with. =D

Comment

I would suggest your cue will be fine, but just dont use it for the break shot. Just use any old thumper for that shot!

Comment

yh just use it for genral potting but for longer screw shots use a pool cue

Comment

Originally Posted by BryanSG1992 View Post
                hey people , i would like to ask is it okay if i were to use my snooker cue to play in pool? because i have a 9 ball tournament this sunday and i dont feel comfortable using a pool cue .But i have friends telling me that its not advisable because a snooker cue might not be strong enough for pool balls. (but i dont use my snooker cue to break , i only use it as a playing cue .)
                i wouldnt use a snooker cue for 9 ball as i have seen cues damaged because of this and our local hall banned the use of their club snooker cues on the 9 ball tables.The balls are way to heavy and when hitting them hard the ferrule can be pushed up into the cue

Comment

Originally Posted by sfmcar View Post
                  i wouldnt use a snooker cue for 9 ball as i have seen cues damaged because of this and our local hall banned the use of their club snooker cues on the 9 ball tables.The balls are way to heavy and when hitting them hard the ferrule can be pushed up into the cue
                  I agree I managed to muller one of my old cues using it for a 9 ball cue. I figured at 11mil plus the cue would be fine, but the weight of the balls takes its toll eventually. I managed to knock the butt splices loose which luckily I got repaired. It's like using a slim english 8 ball cue for snooker, it's not designed for it, it may work perfectly for 99/100 games, but eventually something can go wrong and make you wonder why you took the risk.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Old cue collector --
                  Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                  (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

cheers perp i was surprised so many suggested it would be ok

Comment

cheers perp i was surprised so many suggested it would be ok
                      We usually have one charity event a season at 9 ball, and a lot of players play with snooker cues. I've not seen any fall to bits but you can't play to a decent standard when you're holding back. A very decent 9 ball stick can be picked up fairly cheaply on ebay 2nd hand as there's not many players over here.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Old cue collector --
                      Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                      (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

A Club Mate was playing 9 Ball with a Acuerate snooker cue (8,5 mm tip) for about 2 years...

Comment

well i would,nt hesitate using any of my cues which are 9.6 for 9 ball and i know for sure they are solid enough to withstand the weight of the balls without any damage what so ever .

A good solid snooker cue is fine for 9 ball .

Comment

good solid cue or not if your capable of hitting a ball hard you will damage a regular cue although if you hit like a pussy your cues will be fine!!!

Comment

you never see a 9 ball player on tv using smaller than 11mm even though with a smaller tip they would get more side and we all know how much side is used in 9 ball.Also they dont have small brass ferrules which are about 10 mm deep,they have white ferrules which are about 25mm deep and act like a shock absorber. Im sure steve davis would prefer to use his normal cue playing 9 ball but he dosent. maybe his cue isnt SOLID enough

Comment

Working...
                              X