Looking for 60"+ Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long cue

yes your welcome to do that we can sort postage anytime via paypal or when you return cue

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
      yes your welcome to do that we can sort postage anytime via paypal or when you return cue
      Great! Only one more..

Comment

Originally Posted by rjgw View Post
        Great! Only one more..
        And I'm there! I'll PM you my details now..

Comment

Or not..maybe it's not the 10 post thing. I'll post in the helpdesk.

Comment

long cue

ile try posting you my email and phone no if thats any good

Comment

ile try posting you my email and phone no if thats any good
              Thanks Jim

It seems after reaching 10 posts you have to wait some time before you can use PMs and profiles etc. I can't even see my own Profile.

I'm going offline shortly so if it doesn't activate in the next few minutes I'll PM you the details tomorrow.

Thanks Jim!

Comment

long cue

no worries whats y name anyway

Comment

no worries whats y name anyway
                  My names Roger

Comment

long cue

ok rog i cant pm you yet so ile try again tomorrow

Comment

hi jim. with a bit of luck i'll be getting in touch fairly soon regarding having a go with the 59 1/2 inch cue. obviously assuming the cue remains available...

Comment

Sorry, I'm slightly post whoring for the 10+ posts now, but I've just put the math to the test..on an office table using an imaginary cue..and I think I'm looking closer to 63"

The tip to bridge value was interesting for me as I'm sure I'm a lot closer than this. I presume that's to make up for the length of the cue..
                        Just doing the math, I'd agree with 63" (using an 11.5" tip to bridge). I think your grip to bridge is 47.5" but that's based on your height, not your arm span (which you could measure to see if it's more/less than 6'10").

Having a tip to bridge of 9" is within the recommended range and would let you use a 60.5" cue, or 9.5" for a 61" and so on. As long as you're not less than say 8" as this will start to effect how low/level you can get your cue, the closer you are, the more of an angle there is on the cue plane.
                        "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                        - Linus Pauling

Comment

... Unfortunately it seems it's been withdrawn with no bids....
                          Looks like you have decided on an even longer cue, but just in case, that cue has resurfaced with better pics.
                          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Master-Cue-147...item2a0da5e7f6

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
                            Just doing the math, I'd agree with 63" (using an 11.5" tip to bridge). I think your grip to bridge is 47.5" but that's based on your height, not your arm span (which you could measure to see if it's more/less than 6'10").

Having a tip to bridge of 9" is within the recommended range and would let you use a 60.5" cue, or 9.5" for a 61" and so on. As long as you're not less than say 8" as this will start to effect how low/level you can get your cue, the closer you are, the more of an angle there is on the cue plane.
                            I measured my arm span late last year when I didn't belive someone who told me your arm span is equal to your hight. Mine was almost exactly 82 inch.

I played last night and I found naturally have my tip to bridge quite short. I presume that's because I have a shorter cue than I need.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              Looks like you have decided on an even longer cue, but just in case, that cue has resurfaced with better pics.
                              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Master-Cue-147...item2a0da5e7f6
                              Yeah that came up on my ebay email. Luckily it's 9 days so hopefully with the help of Jim I'll know what I want.

Ta

Comment

I measured my arm span late last year when I didn't belive someone who told me your arm span is equal to your hight. Mine was almost exactly 82 inch.

I played last night and I found naturally have my tip to bridge quite short. I presume that's because I have a shorter cue than I need.
                                It could be .. or it could just be what you're used to. What you want, ideally, is for your grip forearm to be vertical when the tip of the cue hits the white, and you want to be consistent about this, which means on shots where you have to use a shorter bridge i.e. off the rails, you want to move your grip hand up the cue slightly, and vice-versa (add a mini-butt and slide it back).

This consistency helps your timing, your body will 'know' when the cue tip impact is going to happen, without having to watch it happen, and it helps you get a feel for how far you're pushing the cue through.

So, get down on a shot, get the tip as close as you can to the white and have a mate look at your grip forearm, is it vertical i.e. perpendicular to the floor, or the cue (the cue should be as level as possible), or is it back or forward of this position. If it's forward of vertical, the cue is too short, or you have a long bridge. If it's backward, you're holding the cue too far back, or you have a short bridge.

So, how do you know if you have a long or short bridge, well.. this is where it comes down to preference, with a few consequences to bear in mind:
                                1. The recommended length is 8-12 inches.
                                2. The shorter it is, the less effect movement in your grip hand will have on accuracy.
                                3. The longer it is, the reverse is true.
                                4. The shorter it is, the less back swing you have, which may mean less cue power, as you have less distance to accelerate the cue.
                                5. The longer it is, the reverse is true .. to a point.

So.. I reckon you grip the cue at the end, get down on a shot with a loop bridge, have your mate adjust your grip arm till it's vertical. Grab the cue with the loop bridge and measure the distance to the tip. If it's short i.e. 8" or less, you would probably benefit from trying a longer cue, to feel the difference a longer bridge makes. If it's 10" or more it's probably ok.

For a while there I had a small piece of tape on the top of my cue, in the 'correct' bridge distance and a piece of tape on the grip and I would hold my cue in exactly the same place, with exactly the same bridge length. If playing off the rail I would immediately see how much shorter my bridge was, and adjust my grip hand accordingly. I no longer need the tape on the bridge, but I still use the tape on the grip.
                                "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                                - Linus Pauling

Comment

Working...
                                X