Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS a slimmer cue butt better for a smoother action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
    hi mike what about people of different build small guy to big guy some people have small hands some have big, take a big bloke with prob big hands a standard cue would be like a knitting needle,and small slim guy with small hands it would feel rather tree trunkish wouldnt it,ime not a small guy 5-10 but i think ive got small hands met blokes bit bigger than me on my travels round england and there hands dwarfed mine, so would you say a bigger bloke might need say old style 30mm plus and a small guy 27-28 mm
    good point. and i'd have to say if you got great big hands, you don't need to go as small to get the same effect. i.e. butt sits nicely in loose grip to aid cue power/control.

too 'big' a diameter means you are more 'gripping' the butt, which is not conducive to good ball control.

nevertheless, for an average person, the sizes i mentioned are pretty definitive and only need to be adjusted by fractions of a millimetre to suit unusually small or large hands.
    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

I must join with mike
      I once made a cue for a 11 year old boy
      bud 26 mm (for small hands)cue was totally 126 cm
      second bud was 29 mm brought the cue at 146 cm
      he would normally play the first bud to his 15 years,and then later with the 29 mm bud
      but had a better feeling with the bud of 29 mm,where he continued to play after 6 months
      The two buds have the same weight,with the 29 mm was the cue 20cm to long,it gave him a better feel, and the game improved.
      Daniel
      Every point counts double with my homemade snooker cue
      https://www.facebook.com/bungda.cue1/photos_albums

Comment

Originally Posted by Inoffthered
        Oh man, that's tempting fo sho. How about I get a digital caliper and measure it ( with a picture ) and post on here?
        go for it. but remember i know you can set them to a different zero point

btw, assuming you measured it with digital calipers before, what did you make the exact size?

or when you had it thinned down, was that the size mentioned? too often people are told sizes by cuemakers/repairers and they are not even close...
        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Measure it at it's widest and stop being a burk. And get some calipers or borrow some.
          :snooker:

Comment

I am comfortable with smaller butt. My playing is 'about' 28mm
            It's in the Shaft

Comment

have never had an accurate measurement myself ( with my own eyes ) and planning on buying some calipers soon. Regarding your fixing of the zero point, I'm honest... there's no money at stake, so all good...

This is a very basic comparison, but I've laid down the butt of my JP against another, much older cue I have which I know to be @ 28mm and there is a def. difference of @ 2mm on a flat surface. This claim can be viewed as subjective, but I can assure you Mike... 25mm or more I won't be thinking of trying to fix the stats to show I'm "right".

lol. i knew it!

i'm more confident than ever that it won't be 25mm now

regardless, will be interested to see exactly what it is though.

btw, do b&q even sell digital calipers? if they do, i would hazard a guess they ain't mitutoyu...
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

hello Inoffthered, try this site for some calipers. Do not know what the quality is, but there must be a place in your area where you can get some from.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/ca...h/metalworking

I thought you would appreciate the burk bit! Hope it made you smile and not angry. All in good fun.

Comment

Inoffthered, you should not be measuring from the flat. Measure across the widest parts on the round parts of the cue, as near to the end as possible.

Comment

A proper measurement of a butt diameter is near to the bottom, the widest area excluding the flat. I can tell from your picture that the butt is at least 29mm anyway taking into account the measurement of the flat that you posted.

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                      don't believe you.

tell you what, send it to me to measure. i'll pay postage there and back plus run around the crucible naked in april if it's 25mm.

surely an offer you can't refuse.
                      Shame that it is not 25 mm,
                      Would like to see The Mike Chow :snooker:
                      Every point counts double with my homemade snooker cue
                      https://www.facebook.com/bungda.cue1/photos_albums

Comment

It's a shame no-one believes it is 25mm
                        If it makes you feel better i'll pretend to believe you mate

Comment

my Sheridan cue is 26mm, so I can believe that a cue butt would be as slim as 25mm!

Comment

It's a shame no-one believes it is 25mm
                            hi inoffthered... the caliper reading (the one with the caliper by itself), although blur, certainly looks like 25mm... i think you have to post a picture that shows the reading when measured very near the rounded butt end to clear any doubts...

MW seems quite confident it's not... why not have a wager with him on say, one of his cues? ...
                            When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

forget the flat. nobody cares about that...

but even so, as cueman said, it is still easy to see it is much bigger than 25mm.

your measurement with the flat is around 23mm by looks of it. add around 5mm (at a guess from pic) for the amount 'cut away' by the flat.

do the math, it won't be 25mm.

just measure across the butt right at the end, just before it 'rounds off'

in case i appear to have been sitting on the fence on this one. the cue IS NOT 25mm

oh yes, damienlch - would you be prepared to back him?
                              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                                oh yes, damienlch - would you be prepared to back him?
                                lol... oh no, i'm not the one with the caliper and also not about to bet against a cue maker on cue dimensions... but i do hope to get a chance to play with your cues... such limited range to choose from where i am.

the caliper does appear to show 25mm, in fact, it looks more like 26.?mm... quite curious on this one... for some weird reason.
                                Last edited by damienlch; 3 February 2011, 03:57 PM. Reason: sorry, typo... it's getting late.
                                When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Working...
                                X