Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS a slimmer cue butt better for a smoother action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparison

Hello from Down Under.

I can offer a "real world" comparison.

My main cue is a custom made Glover with a 26mm butt, measured at its thickest part. My back up cue is a Wooldridge with a 30mm butt. My highest break with the Glover is 132, with the MW its 112.

Why two widely different cues? I had the Glover made in 1990 and used it for several years until it was stolen. I then went through a long period of abuot 15 years during which I used a stack of cues including Aeon, Hunt & O'Byrne, Parris etc until settling on the MW about 3 years ago. Then my Glover, which has my name on the plate, turned up at a club which was closing down and I was reunited with it. I've continued to use the MW and the Glover since then.

I am a small fella and the Glover is only 142cm long and weighs 16.5oz. The MW is 147cm and weighs 17.25oz and has a 30cm butt, which are all pretty standard. But I do hold it further up the cue because of its length, and the diameter of the cue where I hold it is about 29mm.

I play ok with both cues but do feel a bit more comfy with the Glover. Having said that a thicker butt, say 28mm, would probably feel a bit better because on shots where I have to hold the cue right at the end it is only 23mm because of the plate and it feels like I am using a chop stick. Conversely I would prefer a thinner butt on the MW, say 28.5 - 29mm, and a shorter cue. I can get the cue shortened in NZ but I don't trust anyone here to reduce the butt size so I play with what I have.

Comment

I have owned 4 cues of Mike Woolridge Pro series and all of them had slimmer butts around 28.5-29mm.I really liked this attention to detail of mike's.

Most of the cuemakers I have seen keep the butt size around 29.5 -30.5mm in their standard range.
      My deep screw shot
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

hi inoffthered,

there you go, it's not 25mm... lol... but it is an unusually slim butt so i guess that attracted the numerous postings.

anyway, back to your initial query... i would go for what feels comfortable to me. if you have tried different butt sizes but still play better with slimmer butts, then why not?

personally, i prefer butt sizes around 29mm... and nicely rounded... mmmm...
        When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

About offinthered's cue,

I was in england on business and played him the cue in question is indeed 25mm i got out played and was allowed to handle the cue sorry to burst your bubble but it is indeed 25mm. why is this thread so long? why does he have to mail his cue just to prove a point ffs?its all a bit childish.:snooker:

Comment

Don't get your knickers in a twist Aameiel. It is only a thread and something to talk about. It is all just a bit of fun.
            :snooker:

Comment

Not being skeptical here, but would just like to clarify (even though the digital calipers show otherwise):

It seems like the vernier calipers (previous set of photos) actually read around "25mm" for the photos showing the measurement taken at the flat. If I remember my secondary school science, we should be reading from the zero marking and not the flat edge of the caliper?

And the other photos showing measurements taken at the round side reads around 26.5 to 27mm?
              John Lim

Targets to beat: -line up 63, 78 (Nov 2012)- -practice match 67 (Nov 2012)- -competition 33 (Oct 2011)-

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
                Don't get your knickers in a twist Aameiel. It is only a thread and something to talk about. It is all just a bit of fun.
                :snooker:
                Lol how do you know he wears knickers acrowot?

Comment

Originally Posted by Aameiel View Post
                  About offinthered's cue,

I was in england on business and played him the cue in question is indeed 25mm i got out played and was allowed to handle the cue sorry to burst your bubble but it is indeed 25mm. why is this thread so long? why does he have to mail his cue just to prove a point ffs?its all a bit childish.:snooker:
                  lol. nothing strange about that...

"allowed to handle the cue", whip out the digital vernier you carry on business trips, and check the butt measurement.

yeah, happens all the time...

relax fella, nobody's being childish as far as i can see.

we just don't think it's 25mm.

na na na na nahh nahhh
                  The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Can't believe it's taken me so long to read this thread, funny as.........

So which match are you streaking at Mike?
                    One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

dont bother man they cant handle it when they r wrong

Comment

butt size...

ok. This is getting a bit weird but... in the "first" pictures, there`s a measurement taken (with a good old caliber) from the ebony part of the cue and it looks like its 26-27mm thick(hard to say for sure because of the blur ). So it must be that the cue is tapered both ways?

In the end the main thing is that you like the way it feels...

Comment

Originally Posted by Aameiel View Post
                          dont bother man they cant handle it when they r wrong

FFS bro. You crack me up.

Comment

Been browsing for a while and this is quite a strange first post but hey ho!

Being an engineer, i use calipers (and mics) everyday for my job so i'm fairly certain i know how to read them.

The first pictures of the verniers (digital calipers aren't vernier calipers, remember that ) measured accross the flat do indeed read 25mm (you need to be reading from the 0 mark on the sliding part of the caliper) and accross the round part of the butt, it measures around 28mm (from what i can tell on the pictures)

Try goolging "How to read a vernier scale". It would seem you have either a VERY bad set of digital calipers or you have fiddled with the zero. Lets hope you don't get a set of micrometers!

Comment

This thread's hillarious. Bravo!!!!! Encore!!!! Encore!!!!!!!

Seriously though, I have no idea about clappers and calipers and verminators or verniers so can't comment on that.

If it's 50mm thick and you think it's 10mm or if it's 28mm and you think it's 25mm it doesn't really matter. If it feels good to you then job done! tbh I doubt it makes a difference to how you play. Ronnie could hammer all of us with the handle of a broomstick.
                              Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

Originally Posted by Giggity1984 View Post
                                This thread's hillarious. Bravo!!!!! Encore!!!! Encore!!!!!!!

Seriously though, I have no idea about clappers and calipers and verminators or verniers so can't comment on that.

If it's 50mm thick and you think it's 10mm or if it's 28mm and you think it's 25mm it doesn't really matter. If it feels good to you then job done! tbh I doubt it makes a difference to how you play. Ronnie could hammer all of us with the handle of a broomstick.
                                Not if I shoved it up ron's backside first he wouldn't

Comment

Working...
                                X