Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue confidence

hi all.

i got my cue altered at a time when i didnt know much about cues at all and realised i made a mistake and have very little confidence in my cue now, even though i play well with it from time to time, i've never been so inconsistent since i took up the game.

my cue is now 60.5 inch and weighs 20.5oz and i feel its to whippy now. talking to trevor white about cue length etc hasn't done much to restore my confidence in it if i'm honest!

at the moment i can't afford a new cue, and were in the middle of league season anyway. i suppose the only option i have for now is to get the cue altered and if that doesnt restore my confidence back with it then get a new one. how easy is it to reduce weight in a cue? the thing is, i quite enjoy practicing solo, but i dont see much benefit in doing so while i'm playing with a 'battering ram' so to speak as not sure it will do my game much good.

thanks, James....

Getting weight change is expensive from what i've been told and takes some time but if thats what you need then probably good to get it done.

Comment

Originally Posted by zach123 View Post
      Getting weight change is expensive from what i've been told....
      Dont think it actually is....see Dave Coutts price list.....only £10
      Trouble is if your not close to a maker posting there and back pushes up cost
      http://www.couttscues.co.uk/?id=services
      Edit: i expect Craftsmans cues will be close enough to you to pay a visit ???
      Last edited by jrc750; 4 February 2011, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Oh I was told its quite expensive from few people doing it sorry for wrong info

Comment

Originally Posted by snooks1000 View Post
          hi all.

i got my cue altered at a time when i didnt know much about cues at all and realised i made a mistake and have very little confidence in my cue now, even though i play well with it from time to time, i've never been so inconsistent since i took up the game.

my cue is now 60.5 inch and weighs 20.5oz and i feel its to whippy now. talking to trevor white about cue length etc hasn't done much to restore my confidence in it if i'm honest!

at the moment i can't afford a new cue, and were in the middle of league season anyway. i suppose the only option i have for now is to get the cue altered and if that doesnt restore my confidence back with it then get a new one. how easy is it to reduce weight in a cue? the thing is, i quite enjoy practicing solo, but i dont see much benefit in doing so while i'm playing with a 'battering ram' so to speak as not sure it will do my game much good.

thanks, James....

James, what I said about cues of this length and weight is pretty accurate in all honesty. At those dimensions, the door is wide open for problems, for all the reasons I stated in the mails I sent you.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
            James, what I said about cues of this length and weight is pretty accurate in all honesty. At those dimensions, the door is wide open for problems, for all the reasons I stated in the mails I sent you.
            thanks trevor. How easy is it to reduce cue weight by couple of oz? I know this isn't a guarantee that my cue Will play any better but i thought if i get couple of oz reduced and get an inch chopped off the end then its a temporary fix to see me through the season at least maybe?...

Comment

cue con

hi snooks how you doing ive swopped and changed my cue more than caz and its always best ive found to work your way through the problems its not easy taking weight out of a cue ,first it depends were you want it taking from butt ,middle etc ,from butt and middle,,if you try and work them loose you take the risk of cracking wood, joints need taking out which generally means drilling,then you have to drill quite a way up into the wood,your better having a cue made with a lighter wood leave ebony out all together or maybe thin veneer but you have to look at a lighter wood,what kind of weight are you after,let me know and i can check some of mine,is the 59-1/2 length ok

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                hi snooks how you doing ive swopped and changed my cue more than caz and its always best ive found to work your way through the problems its not easy taking weight out of a cue ,first it depends were you want it taking from butt ,middle etc ,from butt and middle,,if you try and work them loose you take the risk of cracking wood, joints need taking out which generally means drilling,then you have to drill quite a way up into the wood,your better having a cue made with a lighter wood leave ebony out all together or maybe thin veneer but you have to look at a lighter wood,what kind of weight are you after,let me know and i can check some of mine,is the 59-1/2 length ok
                hi Jim. Was gonna message you later actually. The length and weight of the cue you sent me seem ideal and i felt really comfortable with it, apart from the taper. It seems to go in and out instead of just gradually tapering down. That said, its got a nice balance and is a nice hitting cue. I'm going to try it out more next week as i had four matches this week and didn't think it a good idea to be swapping about cues in practice. Not got many matches in next 3 week or so so Will be looking forward to having another few hours with it soon...

Comment

Working...
                X