Cue advice needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue advice needed please

Hi guys, I am in the process of making the transition from 9 ball pool to snooker and dont know what to do regarding the cue. I play pool with a custom cue 18.5oz with predator 314 shafts. Its got a very soft feel and it took years to find 'the cue' and I dont want to take so long to find the right snooker cue.

I have recently bought a 1 piece Peradon, 18oz, and an old Lindrum McConachy that has been centre jointed with a radial pin and a white plastic ferrule. I also have an arch fine cue (that I struggle to lift its so heavy) and out of everything I still prefer playing snooker with my pool cue!

Before going out and wasting money on cues I wont like I wanted to ask your advice on what I should be considering first.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks

Graeme

If you dont know exactly what u like for snooker then i would suggest going to somewhere like craftsman in leeds and try the cues out.

They have around 200 cues in stock.

Comment

Greenbaize cues are in the North-East. Well worth a visit for you I think. Guy in charge there is Stu and he's very very helpful.

Comment

The Mara, If your pool cue USA style or otherwise suits you and feels fine when playing snooker there is no law to say you have to change it at all. If it aint. broke dont mend it.:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
          The Mara, If your pool cue USA style or otherwise suits you and feels fine when playing snooker there is no law to say you have to change it at all. If it aint. broke dont mend it.:snooker:
          You make a good point, but I figured that if my cue is made for pool its not the best tool for snooker and that I would be losing accuracy and control as its a 12.75mm tip.

Comment

Guess this tip is a little oversice for a 52.5mm ball. Your striking will actually be assisted in this in terms of accuracy but you may find it difficult getting close enough to the bottom of the ball for screw shots. If you change, make sure you try before you buy, this is vital. High cost is not. Your 2pc. Lindrum sounds like a ruined Non Pareil cue which could have had collectors value. Frank.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. You are right, my Lindrum McConachy cue is a non pareil cue that has been jointed. I would still hope that it has a reasonable value (although not as much as a non converted cue) although I probobly paid over the odds for it. What do you think its worth?

Comment

In all honesty now that its cut i dont. know. As a collector it's a model Ive always wanted, but I pay very little for the cues in my collection. As a playing cue as long as it suits someone and is reasonably straight and looked after I doubt if you could buy anything today of similar quality much under £150.

Comment

Why not take your pool cue to one of the cue makers and say you want the same spec (weight, length, balance etc) cue apart from the tip size to be reduced to say 9/10mm?

Each cue of the same spec feels different but if your comfortable with your pool cue, then you should feel comfortable with the same spec cue.

Comment

Working...
                  X