Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Hi everybody,

I bought what I thought was a Lewis and Wilson cue from eBay a couple of years ago,and had been using it as my main cue,whilst still searching for that elusive perfect cue. Any way, long story short I chipped the "ebony" and it turns out that it is a painted butt.

Obviously I was gutted that I'd been duped but I really like the cue, so I thought sod it I will sand the rest of the paint off.
    Big mistake,it now looks like a black cat with alopecia!

I have tried every different grade of sand paper I've got but it will not shift,so to get to the point, does anybody have any ideas or solutions to what I can try to sort it out?

Can you put a pic on for us to have a laugh........sorry i meant advise you
    Are you sure it was not spliced with real wood and then touched up to make it look like black ebony ???? could explain why you cant shift it all

Comment

Spray it black and then seal it

Comment

It is spliced with real woods, a bit like" Phillip from china"s cue if you know what I mean. I don't really want to just spray it black, I did a search of the site and found a post from dan shelton or totxlc(something like that) who did the same thing and to be fair it did look pretty cool.

I have tried with sand paper and just manage to get a couple of patches of what looks like ash underneath, the more I sand all I seem to get is black Paint dust!

Comment

just repaint it.....

you like it it plays well, who gives a tosd what it looks like?

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
            just repaint it.....

you like it it plays well, who gives a tosd what it looks like?
            Any suggestions on what I should use and the best way to do it?

Comment

You could try to "ebonise" it but i think for this to work you will
              need to get to the bare wood.
              Good luck
              Danny

P.S. http://www.egcc.biz/workshop/e/ebonising.htm
              P.P.S. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-SPRAY-EB...-/120656550156
              Last edited by danam1; 9 February 2011, 11:31 AM.
              Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Thank you, I will give it a go, and try to put some before and after shots up so everyone can have a laugh at my stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                X