Cue's Balance Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue's Balance Point

I have a cue with a BP of 17 1/2inches but on some shots I feel the cue is butt heavy. How would the person i send the cue to (Dave Coutts) move the balance point to 20inches without adding weight.
    Thanks

Are you sure it's not the whole cue that's heavy? Because most cues I've seen are balanced between 17 & 18 inches!!! 20 inch BP seems a bit wild IMO. How heavy is the cue anyway? I'm just curious

To answer your question, maybe you should ask Dave that question? I'm sure he'll give you a clear answer!
    Winner of C77's Masters Fantasy Game 2010
    Joint-winner of montoya10/theasaris' Shanghai Masters Fantasy Game 2010

Comment

A cue with a balance point at 20" will feel like a shopping trolley with a broken front wheel
      mind control > body control > cue control > ball control

Comment

Don't blame the cue balance point, if your not happy with the cue get rid and get a new one. To change the balance point will be very difficult. For a start you would need to find out if the cue already has a weight before carrying out any work as this will cause lots of problems if its in the wrong place. Which to get a balance point of 20 inch it will almost certenly be.

Comment

Originally Posted by finabb View Post
          I have a cue with a BP of 17 1/2inches but on some shots I feel the cue is butt heavy. How would the person i send the cue to (Dave Coutts) move the balance point to 20inches without adding weight.
          Thanks
          Generally speaking at 17 1/2" it won't be the balance point that makes it butt heavy it will more likely be the actual overall weight of the cue that doesn't suit you.

Taking other things into consideration though what is the length & weight of the cue and is it 3/4 or 1pc as these factors might make a difference.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with balance at 17.5 inches. Certainly not butt heavy with that balance point.
            :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
              There is nothing wrong with balance at 17.5 inches. Certainly not butt heavy with that balance point.
              Quite right, that's why i think its the actual weight of the cue that doesn't suit him or maybe even the length of the cue, as a balance point of 17.5" should be fine regardless of weight.

16" to 18" balance point good but 19" to 20" or above bad in my opinion when talking about standard length cues of around 58".
              Last edited by CueAntW147; 18 February 2011, 10:43 PM.

Comment

i am not sure what you want is physically possible.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by cue1 View Post
                  Are you sure it's not the whole cue that's heavy? Because most cues I've seen are balanced between 17 & 18 inches!!! 20 inch BP seems a bit wild IMO. How heavy is the cue anyway? I'm just curious

To answer your question, maybe you should ask Dave that question? I'm sure he'll give you a clear answer!
                  18.2oz mate

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
                    when you have a cushion shot and move your hand up the butt it is then butt heavy

Comment

when you have a cushion shot and move your hand up the butt it is then butt heavy
                      lol.......well in that situation then many would seem to be nothing to do with weight, balance point etc just purely where you hold the cue for that type of shot.

Cue could be too long for you but then it would feel butt heavy on every type of shot if you were holding it further up the butt.

Comment

18.2oz mate
                        Same as mine but mine's balanced closer to 18 inch. I just can't get why you'd feel the butt's heavy!!!

I think you need to talk to the the cue maker, Dave?! I'm sure he'll give you good advice :snooker:
                        Winner of C77's Masters Fantasy Game 2010
                        Joint-winner of montoya10/theasaris' Shanghai Masters Fantasy Game 2010

Comment

doesn't make the cue butt heavy though in general. Any shot being cued off the cushion is a tough shot and naturally you have to shorten your grip and follow through so the feel is not the same. Its not the cues fault or balance point, just that particular shot you need to adjust and maybe make allowances for the type of shot you play.

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
                            lol.......well in that situation then many would seem to be nothing to do with weight, balance point etc just purely where you hold the cue for that type of shot.

Cue could be too long for you but then it would feel butt heavy on every type of shot if you were holding it further up the butt.
                            good call I'll save money and just move my hand down the butt, I'll try it later

Comment

Don't hold it too near the ferrule ... lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X