chamfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chamfer

I have a TW cue on order I like the feel of the flat of the cue in my hand, so I'm toying with the idea of asking TW to make the chamfer(flat) on the cue longer than normal so that I can vary the position of my hand more whilst having the feeling of the flat in the hand. I'm thinking of 4 inch's maybe even 5.
    What I would like to know is how long do you think the chamfer can be and how long is the chamfer on your cue.
    Last edited by cazmac1; 21 February 2011, 01:27 PM.

I expect your having an SD joint in butt ?? ...because this will limit the starting point for the chamfer, so you could get a very shallow slope over 4" or more, and at the extreme point of the chamfer it won't feel as flat maybe as you had hoped ? Obviously if you did away with SD joint (and use push on extension) you could start the chamfer a lot lower to the centre line of the cue giving you a more pronounced chamfer over greater length.
    My JP, Burwat Champion & Alan Day cues are 3", Welshpool cue is 3 1/4", James Butters cue is 3 1/2", and Powerglide cue is 4"

Comment

Thanks JRC750
      I wouldn't like the chamfer to cut into the cue to much as this would feel very strange, have you got a picture of the chamfer on a power glide cue so that I could get an idea of what it looks like.

Comment

Not easy to see maybe, but here goes. Also this is quite a wide butt, 32mm at widest point

Comment

jrc is your alan day cue anygood? did you buy it from him direct?

Comment

Originally Posted by nostawmail View Post
            jrc is your alan day cue anygood? did you buy it from him direct?
            Got it from ebay, from a bloke who did buy from him direct a while ago, actually i really really like it and play well with it, doesn't look the best shaft in the world but thats not important to me. Just need more practice time on my own with it, always seem to have to play somebody, so use my JP which is 19.2oz, whereas Alan cue is only 17.9oz so a bit different, and it has larger ferrule/taper so just needs getting used to. Take it you know of him then ?? (Gateshead apparently)

Comment

well i dont know him personally i know of his work yeah hes from gateshead, my views are mixed from what ive seen, a lad you will probably know steve heally from stockton tried to sell me one of his cues a bit a go and the cue didnt look anywhere near finished, but ive seen alteration jobs he has done and they are all of decent quality i know stu green is using him at the moment for alterations to his stock cues, i just thought id ask incase you knew what he charged for a cue

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                I have a TW cue on order I like the feel of the flat of the cue in my hand, so I'm toying with the idea of asking TW to make the chamfer(flat) on the cue longer than normal so that I can vary the position of my hand more whilst having the feeling of the flat in the hand. I'm thinking of 4 inch's maybe even 5.
                What I would like to know is how long do you think the chamfer can be and how long is the chamfer on your cue.
                cazmac1
                when did you order your cue??

Comment

Originally Posted by nostawmail View Post
                  well i dont know him personally i know of his work yeah hes from gateshead, my views are mixed from what ive seen, a lad you will probably know steve heally from stockton tried to sell me one of his cues a bit a go and the cue didnt look anywhere near finished, but ive seen alteration jobs he has done and they are all of decent quality i know stu green is using him at the moment for alterations to his stock cues, i just thought id ask incase you knew what he charged for a cue
                  Pm sent ....dont want to highjack Caz's thread

Comment

Originally Posted by darrenlowe79 View Post
                    cazmac1
                    when did you order your cue??
                    I'm not to sure I think it was early December, I'm trying not to think about it too much, I think my ETA is mid April.

Comment

Hi Jrc, thanks for the pictures the chamfer don't look too bad at all, I think I could live with that chamfer. I cant see an extra inch's making too much difference
                      I'll see what TW has to say near delivery.

Comment

Hi Jrc, thanks for the pictures the chamfer don't look too bad at all, I think I could live with that chamfer. I cant see an extra inch's making too much difference
                        I'll see what TW has to say near delivery.
                        No problem but i wouldn't wait too long before discussing it, as chamfer will be done before placing badge and polishing cue etc which takes a long time

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          No problem but i wouldn't wait too long before discussing it, as chamfer will be done before placing badge and polishing cue etc which takes a long time
                          Funny I just got an email from Trevor saying that he miss my last email with some changing that I made regarding lenght. So I have to either to get a new cue made from scratch or have the exsiting cue extended with four lower splices. I deceided to go for the four lower splices as I think this will be the quickest option.
                          I've emailed my dececision and have asked for the 5 inch chamfer so I'll see soon what he has to say on the subject. I trust TW 100% to do whats right and if he advises against it I will go with whatever he suggests.

Comment

I must have ordered the cue earlier than I thought, the cue would have been almost ready if not for now having to extend it. Trevors said that 5 inch's chamfer is too long so I'm going to go four a 4 inch chamfer the same as the power glide I think this should be fine for most standard shots except cushion shots. Which I'm ok with anyhow.

Comment

I'm not to sure I think it was early December, I'm trying not to think about it too much, I think my ETA is mid April.
                              I ordered mine the week before Xmas trying not to think to much about it too but stll can't wait!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X