• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused which cue to stick with

Hi all,

I need your advice about which cue to play with
    I know that most will say the one you feel comfortable with

well I've got two JP traditional (1pcs) and Elite (3/4)

not sur about the traditional spec (sure it has a 9mm tip and it's 56,5", just a little bit heavier than the elite)
    but the elite is 18oz 9.5mm 57"

most of player here tell me to play with the elite as it has a bigger tip it will help me improve my game, and I must say i play good with it.
    but I feel very relaxed when i'm playing my Traditional.

so what can you advice to stick with and play with all the time?

Can a 9mm tip stop me from improving my game ?

Thanks in advance,
    Amine
    Highest Break : 53
    Current Playing Cue : Aurora Custom Cue 1pc (56.5", 18oz, 9.5mm tip, 29mm butt)
    Spare : Aurora Custom Cue 1pc (17.8oz, 9.6mm tip, 30mm butt, 17" balance point.)
    Retired : John Parris Traditional 1pc (sold), John Parris Elite Cue (sold), Cue Craft Royal (sold), Cue Craft Baron (sold).

i personaly think 9mm is to small for snooker but its down to what you like. just pick the cue which you like the best and get on with it.

Comment

Or maybe the slimmer taper of the Traditional just suits you better...in which case try using a mushroom tip on it, ie bigger tip than the ferrule...a bit like this

Comment

I've played with a 9mm tip for years and couldn't play with anything bigger. What ever 1 you decide just make sure you stick with it long enough to give yourself a chance to get used to it. Dont go down the long road of keep changing cues as it can be costly and no good for your game.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Or maybe the slimmer taper of the Traditional just suits you better...in which case try using a mushroom tip on it, ie bigger tip than the ferrule...a bit like this
          Thats a nice juicy lookin tip on there mate

Comment

Originally Posted by tornado taylor View Post
            Thats a nice juicy lookin tip on there mate
            Cheers 10mm Talisman soft on a 9.2mm ferrule
            Tip delaminated twice tho which i wasn't happy about, especially at the price, so now back to Mike Wooldridge supertips which i love to bits
            Mind you i do tend to give the cue ball a fair old whack so maybe thats my fault and not the tip :snooker:

Comment

@ jrc. Ha yeah I like the look of that tip it looks spot on. Nothing like giving your balls a good thrashing now and then is there i've never tried the talisman tips but i'm currently using the super tips and like you rate these very high.

Comment

Originally Posted by hanchi View Post
                Hi all,

I need your advice about which cue to play with
                I know that most will say the one you feel comfortable with

well I've got two JP traditional (1pcs) and Elite (3/4)

not sur about the traditional spec (sure it has a 9mm tip and it's 56,5", just a little bit heavier than the elite)
                but the elite is 18oz 9.5mm 57"

most of player here tell me to play with the elite as it has a bigger tip it will help me improve my game, and I must say i play good with it.
                but I feel very relaxed when i'm playing my Traditional.

so what can you advice to stick with and play with all the time?

Can a 9mm tip stop me from improving my game ?

Thanks in advance,
                Amine
                If you can't make your mind up between your 2 Pariss cues, then either they're both great, in which case use them both until one becomes your favourite, or they're both unsuitable, in which case sell both and have a nice holiday with the money you'll make, and when you're refreshed, buy another. The only difference a small tip gives, other than the shaft having less power if it's tapered properly, is that you will spin the ball more, as the contact is more focused, and less spread. The downfall is because you spin the white more that you have to cue very precisely to avoid unwanted spin, and the result is a greater amount of misses and positional loss. There will always be an exception to the rule with players, but for the majority, especially if you're having to ask, then you're better with a 9.5mm - 10mm tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                  Hi jrc,

Out of interest, how did you acheive the nice taper on the sides of your tip?

Comment

Originally Posted by safe t boy View Post
                    Hi jrc,

Out of interest, how did you acheive the nice taper on the sides of your tip?
                    I only live about 12 miles from Greenbaize so i got Stu to do it for me. At first he just glued it on dead centre (which is hard to do itself) but it just looks kind of wrong, but he quickly added "if you want i could taper it back to the ferrule" well this is what he ended up with, which i was well pleased with. He had a very sharp blade in his hand and just very slowly held it at an angle against the ferrule and rotated the cue, made it look very easy....must be years of practice and a very very sharp blade.

Comment

Ok cheers for that. might have a go on an old cue someday. Looks nice

Comment

Working...
                      X