Possible Cracked Cue Or Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Cracked Cue Or Tip

Hi all, first post on here so apologies if this thread is in the wrong place.

Myself and my brother were playing Snooker at the weekend and all of a sudden a hollow noise started coming from the cue when he was took his shot. It persisted for a while, stopped, and then started again.

It sounds like the cue could have cracked but it's a proper Riley cue and he's been using it for about a year now (my dad originally had it before him). There's no visible crack on the cue at all though, nor on the tip.

Has this happened to any of you before and would you think it's the tip or cue that has been damaged, or perhaps even both?

Thanks

I would suggest a new tip first, then a new ferrule if problem persists.

Comment

1 or 2 piece?

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
        1 or 2 piece?
        It's a 2 piece mate.

Comment

Possibly the joint is loosening, it maybe why it's intermittent.

You maybe tightening the joint without realising and the cue hits fine, then it loosens and you get that nasty clunk. this may be happening or a loose tip/ferule like said.

Or it's just because it's a riley.....

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
            Possibly the joint is loosening, it maybe why it's intermittent.

You maybe tightening the joint without realising and the cue hits fine, then it loosens and you get that nasty clunk. this may be happening or a loose tip/ferule like said.

Or it's just because it's a riley.....
            Aye, the joint does happen to loosen sometimes so it could well be happening without him noticing.

We're playing again tomorrow anyway so I'll keep an eye on the joint and if that's fine then I'll get him to try a new tip and report back.

As for the Riley comment We're both just pretty much leisure players at the minute so we're not really clued up on the best cues, etc.

Comment

My cue makes a 'tinny' noise dont think it is my cue probably my tip needs replacing

Comment

Do cue makers still add weights?
                It could be the bolted weight inside.

Comment

or the ferrule loosen.....
                  It's in the Shaft

Comment

I had similar problem with one of my cue too. I first changed the tip and it didn't solve the problem. Then I did a test, I play with the shaft only(without the butt) and it play and sounded normal. So I had the joint replaced and it plays like a dream now.

Comment

Process of elimination is the only way to go I think. Start from the top down : Tip, Ferrule, Joint, then a trip to the nearest cue doctor to see if any internal weight may have worked loose. A little tip (if you forgive the pun!) is to get a strong magnet and run it up and down the lower shaft/butt area to see if a metal weight is present before you go to the expense of using a cue doc.

Hope you solve this annoying problem mate and welcome to the forum.

Comment

it may be the weight cum loss have u been tip it on the floor

Comment

Working...
                        X