old john parris cues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old john parris cues?

why are john parris cues that are around 8 years or older more expensive to buy than buying them new from john parris. are they worth the extra money i saw a cue i was going to buy today that was about 10 years old and it had a lovely straight ash grain dead straight and was very solid. is it the best wood?

I think people assume older cues were made by John himself (altho im not sure if 8 years is long enough) rather than all his workers he employs nowadays....plus older wood does seem to be better....someone else may have more in-depth info

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      I think people assume older cues were made by John himself (altho im not sure if 8 years is long enough) rather than all his workers he employs nowadays....plus older wood does seem to be better....someone else may have more in-depth info
      cheers i just wernt sure if it was worth paying more for an old cue than a new one. would you say that £400 is a good price for one of the old cues and it was a john parris challenge or champion cue cant remember now but thats what he wants for it

Comment

If £400 for cue alone that sounds way too much....if it comes with mini butt, extension as well, and maybe a case then its still top end. Cue alone £200 to £250 is probably about right. See this link for recent prices from ebay to give you a clue
        http://completed.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.h...c0.m283&_rdc=1

Comment

knowing the price of JP cues today and the quality of them, given that older cues were better players and quite difficult to get hold of I'd say £300-£400 isn't beyond the realms given how good the early cues were. My JP is 15 years old next month and I wouldn't sell it for the world as I doubt I'd get another cue that plays as well, plus the fact it was made by JP and you can understand not wanting to part with it.

When I see the prices old Hunt&O'Byrne cues command I can't see why JP cues of the same era are not in the same league, in my opinion JP was and is a far greater cue maker than either of those two, its just they got lucky in having Jimmy White make popular their cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            If £400 for cue alone that sounds way too much....if it comes with mini butt, extension as well, and maybe a case then its still top end. Cue alone £200 to £250 is probably about right. See this link for recent prices from ebay to give you a clue
            http://completed.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.h...c0.m283&_rdc=1
            thanks a real mix of prices on that list. the cue comes with a long extender that screws into the shaft as it doesnt have a sd joint at the bottom. hes txt me saying i can have the cue and extention for 380. i might be interested and if i dont get on with it i might just put it back on sale and hopefully get most of the money back. might be the time to risk it for a biscuit

Comment

Originally Posted by centurysnooker View Post
              thanks a real mix of prices on that list. the cue comes with a long extender that screws into the shaft as it doesnt have a sd joint at the bottom. hes txt me saying i can have the cue and extention for 380. i might be interested and if i dont get on with it i might just put it back on sale and hopefully get most of the money back. might be the time to risk it for a biscuit
              offer him 330 - its all i would pay!
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

i have just found a long butt that screws into an 80's parris shaft if anybody wants one!
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                X