cue alteration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue alteration

Hi all , i have a one piece TW here that is a tad too light so i,m thinking of having it made into a 3/4 . So for the question how much weight will a joint add ? , where is the best place to have one as to try and maintain the balance ? , and for those who have done it , do you think the cue played similar prior to the alteration .

Thanks

Hi
    I was considering having a joint put in my JP and was told by a member of the forum the joint will add between 1.5 and 2 oz.
    :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
      Hi all , i have a one piece TW here that is a tad too light so i,m thinking of having it made into a 3/4 . So for the question how much weight will a joint add ? , where is the best place to have one as to try and maintain the balance ? , and for those who have done it , do you think the cue played similar prior to the alteration .

Thanks
      I'm sure you've already thought of this, but if you don't mind waiting and he can fit you in... back to Trevor?

Comment

Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post
        I'm sure you've already thought of this, but if you don't mind waiting and he can fit you in... back to Trevor?
        Thanks both ,yes i will be taking it to Trev and was hoping that he,d see this and reply .

Comment

Hi Hotpot,
          What most people don't know is when a 1pc Cues are Made the Splices aren't as Long as a 3/4 Cues. I think Most Standard 1pc Cues are around 15"/16" and 3/4 Cues are 17"/18" as Standard.

Thats why you see quite alot of Original 1pc Cues with Joints above the Splices so it is Better Weighted.

I have had a few Cues Alterd in the Past and i would say the Joint above the Splices is Definately better weighted in 1pc Cues but it does Depend on Personal Preference.

Gaz.

Comment

Thanks Gaz , the cue is ideal when i play home as the table is lively and the white is nice and responsive , however when i play away i really struggle on a lot of tables as the white seems like a cannon ball , and makes you look a bit silly .

Thats why i keep changing cues .

Comment

I've asked Trevor a similar question in the past and according to him, the joints would add approx 1.5 oz in weight.

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerloopy_08 View Post
                I've asked Trevor a similar question in the past and according to him, the joints would add approx 1.5 oz in weight.
                Cheers muck , not sure if that is a bit too heavy

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
                  Hi Hotpot,
                  What most people don't know is when a 1pc Cues are Made the Splices aren't as Long as a 3/4 Cues. I think Most Standard 1pc Cues are around 15"/16" and 3/4 Cues are 17"/18" as Standard.

Thats why you see quite alot of Original 1pc Cues with Joints above the Splices so it is Better Weighted.

I have had a few Cues Alterd in the Past and i would say the Joint above the Splices is Definately better weighted in 1pc Cues but it does Depend on Personal Preference.

Gaz.
                  Standard splice lengths for 1 piece cues are 17-18 inches, the long butt normally found on 3/4 cues are 22 inches with the joint at 16 inches.

Comment

The join will only add weight if you want it to
                    when I had a one piece made into a 3/4
                    just for playing pool at a pub with not a lot of clearance
                    in one place
                    the join was added and the weight kept the same
                    more recently I had mike wooldridge put a join in and take
                    weight out at the same time
                    trev would probably tell you better about the balance
                    could you not just have some weight added to the one piece?
                    Or is that not an option?

Comment

Originally Posted by Mick Dundee View Post
                      The join will only add weight if you want it to
                      when I had a one piece made into a 3/4
                      just for playing pool at a pub with not a lot of clearance
                      in one place
                      the join was added and the weight kept the same
                      more recently I had mike wooldridge put a join in and take
                      weight out at the same time
                      trev would probably tell you better about the balance
                      could you not just have some weight added to the one piece?
                      Or is that not an option?
                      Thanks Mick , come to think about it having weight added may be a better option , i,ve emailed trev so i,ll see what he says .

Comment

Hope it goes ok for you
                        I know what it's like fiddling about with
                        cues till you get it right 

Comment

Thanks Mick , trev just replied and said it would,nt make much difference adding a joint , so i,ve asked him if adding weight would be a better option .

Comment

1 1/2 - 2oz last time I spoke to Kev Muncaster.I shall shortly be collecting a cue that I have had altered from a one piece to a 3/4,with a low joint ( no brass faces) almost wood to wood (5/16" whitworth brass thread).I have also had it re-tapered,new ferrule and tip down from 10mm to 9mm.If you want I will weigh it and P.M. you the weight difference and details of where I had it done.The joint should be invisible and the shaft should finish about 48" ish.From personal experience the cue should play about the same as before.I had an old one piece 57" Ashcroft I had jointed at 9" for the same reasons you suggested earlier.The cue plays fine,the shaft (possibly because I deliberately left it long) feels no diferent.I seem to re-call MW leaves his 3/4 shafts longer than normal for this reason.

Comment

Thanks old School . Spoke to Trev and he suggest adding weight , then if not happy i can have the weight removed and the consider a joint if i wish .

I think thats the route i,ll be taking , fed up of switching cues , its not doing my game no good but on some of these tables i have no option .

Comment

Working...
                              X