• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
    hi stick ile have a look at some of my old cues and let you know
    Cool thanks

Comment

Speak to Robin cook as pretty sure he can do you a cue to your spec.

Comment

Looks like I must put my impossible spec out to tender to the gurus and see what they say about my mental state

Comment

he's alright, i find his arrogance pretty funny to be honest, he's a good guy.

i think his bark's worse than his bite lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stick View Post
            I am a big fan of MW and have one of his 2007 cues-pure quality. I will try and scrape together some courage and mail him (hahaha)
            that above was for that lol

Comment

hi Stick

Hoes anyone know the exact density of maple and the density of ebony. All the calculations I have done with a desnity of 0.7 for maple and 1.3 for ebony gives me a cue with a mass of slightly higher than 19 ounces with your specs Stick. Changing the taper slightly either way(thicker or thinner) does not vary the mass of the cue significantly
              Last edited by sanman; 1 March 2011, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
                hi Stick

Hoes anyone know the exact density of maple and the density of ebony. All the calculations I have done with a desnity of 0.7 for maple and 1.3 for ebony gives me a cue with a mass of slightly higher than 19 ounces with your specs Stick. Changing the taper slightly either way(thicker or thinner) does not vary the mass of the cue significantly
                Howzit Sanman,

You engineers think a lot differently than the rest of us Here I sit wondering what the weight could be with no real basis in fact, whilst you get the data and calculate :snooker:

P.S. Will still get you the info promised - just had to work last Saturday.

Comment

Originally Posted by the_paz View Post
                  that above was for that lol

Also enjoy the MW humour - had a great time reading through his website, especially the part about meeting the team.

Just afraid I mail him my specs and he says something along the lines of "you must be joking you moron" lol

Comment

hi Stick

playing around with the calculations again if you reduce the thickness of the ebony(1cm thick at the end of the butt on all four sides) used you could achieve a weight of just above 17ounces(17.1 exactly) . The four fingers/petals /points whatever one calls them would be longer at about 7/8 inches in lenght for a 20 inch splice lenght. Theorectically then Stick your cue is possible to make with a plain ebony butt and 58 inch lenght and 29 butt and 11 mm tip with a weight of just above 17 ounces(17.1 TO BE MORE PRECISE). A conical taper would possibly bring it to 17 or lower but i do not like those tapers.

I have placed a table below with the taper
                    maybe some cuemaker could tell me if this theorectical taper is acceptable or not. If they could specify 4 diameters along the lenght of the cue from the tip I could calculate the cue according to their taper. Hope this helps

Comment

playing around with the calculations again if you reduce the thickness of the ebony(1cm thick at the end of the butt on all four sides) used you could achieve a weight of just above 17ounces(17.1 exactly) . The four fingers/petals /points whatever one calls them would be longer at about 7/8 inches in lenght for a 20 inch splice lenght. Theorectically then Stick your cue is possible to make with a plain ebony butt and 58 inch lenght and 29 butt and 11 mm tip with a weight of just above 17 ounces(17.1 TO BE MORE PRECISE). A conical taper would possibly bring it to 17 or lower but i do not like those tapers.

maybe some cuemaker could tell me if this theorectical taper is acceptable or not. If they could specify 4 diameters along the lenght of the cue from the tip I could calculate the cue according to their taper. Hope this helps
                      i forgot the table here goes.
                      for some reason it does not wanna attach

Comment

i forgot the table here goes.
                        for some reason it does not wanna attach
                        think it uploaded now
                        butt diameter in mm
                        lenght of shaft in inches
                        balance point is at approximatelt 15.75 inches
                        Last edited by sanman; 1 March 2011, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Geez man, that is super cool:snooker: Thanks for the effort as well as the good news that the weight can be possibly still be kept to around 17 ounces for my spec.

It would be very interesting if the cuemakers can give their comments on your calculations.

Comment

Geez man, that is super cool:snooker: Thanks for the effort as well as the good news that the weight can be possibly still be kept to around 17 ounces for my spec.

It would be very interesting if the cuemakers can give their comments on your calculations.
                            I would like some feedback too as this is thoretical and I would love to hear what someone withpractical experience has to say about my calculations. Also some feedback on tapers would help to tweek the calculations a bit.

Comment

The other variable is reducing the length of the ebony splices. It seems that some makers have a fixed splice length, while others can accomodate shorter lengths to make a lighter cue.

When I ordered a 17oz 2 pce cue from robin cook he made the splices shorter to accomodate that. In the end I switched to 3/4 after those splices had been done, and he told me that before he put the join in the cue was 15.5 oz. It ended up being jointed at 11 inches from butt, but it looked and felt fine that way.

Looking at JP's site, he has one 3/4 model jointed at 12 inches instead of the usual 16", and that one is available in 16-18 oz I think. JP's traditional is also available from 16 so it can definitely be done, those cues only have a facing splice.
                              Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Also enjoy the MW humour - had a great time reading through his website, especially the part about meeting the team.

Just afraid I mail him my specs and he says something along the lines of "you must be joking you moron" lol
                                lol, but if you dont ask, then you dont get!

all he can say is no mate eh.

good luck with getting one.

Comment

Working...
                                X