Do you splice to reduce weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Stick View Post

Also enjoy the MW humour - had a great time reading through his website, especially the part about meeting the team.

Just afraid I mail him my specs and he says something along the lines of "you must be joking you moron" lol
    He is actually a very nice guy. He'll give it to you straight but won't insult you. I had a similar request for a black shark, and he did try to accomodate. Unfortunately he just got back a little bit late, and I'd already ordered from someone else.
    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
      The other variable is reducing the length of the ebony splices. It seems that some makers have a fixed splice length, while others can accomodate shorter lengths to make a lighter cue.

When I ordered a 17oz 2 pce cue from robin cook he made the splices shorter to accomodate that. In the end I switched to 3/4 after those splices had been done, and he told me that before he put the join in the cue was 15.5 oz. It ended up being jointed at 11 inches from butt, but it looked and felt fine that way.

Looking at JP's site, he has one 3/4 model jointed at 12 inches instead of the usual 16", and that one is available in 16-18 oz I think. JP's traditional is also available from 16 so it can definitely be done, those cues only have a facing splice.
      Thanks mate, that is very useful info. Seems that I must approach the makers with my specs and see what they say.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stick View Post
        Thanks mate, that is very useful info. Seems that I must approach the makers with my specs and see what they say.
        its very unlikelike that you will achieve a 3/4 at anything under 18.5 ounces for your spec. A one piece would be the closest you would get to achieving those specs stick.

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
          The other variable is reducing the length of the ebony splices. It seems that some makers have a fixed splice length, while others can accomodate shorter lengths to make a lighter cue.

When I ordered a 17oz 2 pce cue from robin cook he made the splices shorter to accomodate that. In the end I switched to 3/4 after those splices had been done, and he told me that before he put the join in the cue was 15.5 oz. It ended up being jointed at 11 inches from butt, but it looked and felt fine that way.

Looking at JP's site, he has one 3/4 model jointed at 12 inches instead of the usual 16", and that one is available in 16-18 oz I think. JP's traditional is also available from 16 so it can definitely be done, those cues only have a facing splice.
          And don't forget the beauty of the cue too, when you adjust the length of the splices. This design attached can reduce the total weight down some 0.5-0.8oz according to our experience. It's originally made in 1pc then cut and jointed. The shorter butt length (standard 16") of 14" will reduce the ebony weight as well, but not to that significant new weight. Hope this helps.
          It's in the Shaft

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-ONE-PI...item230eaa8e80
            try this one stick

its looks nice

Comment

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
              Not bad at all, but sale limited to UK. No indication of weight unfortunately. Like the fact that it is refurbished, hand spliced and hornbeam. Should sell easily

Comment

Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
                And don't forget the beauty of the cue too, when you adjust the length of the splices. This design attached can reduce the total weight down some 0.5-0.8oz according to our experience. It's originally made in 1pc then cut and jointed. The shorter butt length (standard 16") of 14" will reduce the ebony weight as well, but not to that significant new weight. Hope this helps.
                That is beautiful. Would look really nice with maple.
                Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Working...
                X