Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice - Raised splice

Hi lads.

I've seen a nice cue that I want to buy, and wanted a little advice before the deal is done.
    Last edited by firefrets; 9 March 2011, 04:06 PM.

Incidentally the raised splice is the sharp ebony piece on the butt, and not the tulip wood or the shaft.

Again thanks.

Comment

Last edited by firefrets; 9 March 2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by firefrets View Post
        84 views and not one reply?

I thought you guys were knowledgeable lol. I am in hospital in 2 hours, and pick cue up in only 2 days, so could really do with some advice here quickly.

Much obliged.

Is the raised splice going to be a headache, even if it is sanded flat. Same with the raised joint.

Thanks.
        Speak to Dave Coutts who is a very good repairer and get is advice. If the cue is cheap and the repair is reasonable then go for it

Comment

I think if the raised splice is sanded down and cue re-finished you will have no further problem at all. Same with joint, if it gets machined down to make it flush you should have no further problems at all. There are 4 or 5 players in my club who use Master Cues and all like them..........except the lad who last Monday night played a really bad shot then did the action of snapping the cue over his knee.....only he did snap it lol must have caught it just right or something. He's now borrowing one of my spare cues till he investigates getting it repaired/buys something else/buys my spare if it suits.

Comment

just buy a decent cue in the first place and be done with it!

Comment

Originally Posted by circle View Post
              just buy a decent cue in the first place and be done with it!
              Damn, why didn't I think of that. I must be losing my mind.

I realise actually visiting a seller, and examining all the cues must be a silly way to find a good one.

Have you considered that the cue could be the best 'players' cue ever made, but has a few flaws which could be easily repaired?

It plays well, is beautiful to look at, and comes in at a good price. I just need to know if the cue will have settled, and if a fix will be suffice.

Thanks anyway though, as your wisdom is unparalleled in my universe.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                I think if the raised splice is sanded down and cue re-finished you will have no further problem at all. Same with joint, if it gets machined down to make it flush you should have no further problems at all. There are 4 or 5 players in my club who use Master Cues and all like them..........except the lad who last Monday night played a really bad shot then did the action of snapping the cue over his knee.....only he did snap it lol must have caught it just right or something. He's now borrowing one of my spare cues till he investigates getting it repaired/buys something else/buys my spare if it suits.
                Damn, that's a bummer. We've all done the action though, and thankfully got away with it. Hope he gets fixed up.

Comment

Originally Posted by firefrets View Post
                  Damn, that's a bummer. We've all done the action though, and thankfully got away with it. Hope he gets fixed up.
                  Yeah it was funny for us, but not for him as it was the M7 model....about £190 he paid for it ....ouch

Comment

Will be picking the cue up tomorrow night after having contact with the seller, so fingers crossed it willl be perfect when I get her. It's a really nice cue, and just a pity the quality of Master cues isn't perfect, as the rest of the cue is great.

Comment

I gotta say I have dealt with over 300+ Master Cues and you are Definately Wrong about the Quality of the Cues! As they are by Far the Best Value/Quality for Money Cues you can Buy!

He must have bought a Bad Batch for Very Cheap Money!

Master Cue did have a few Problems around 5/6 Years ago with there 3/4 Jointed Cues as a few of the Joints were faulty but Ukrit the Owner of Master Cue has sorted this Out.

The New Master Cues have Master Cue Engraved on the Joints.

Gaz.

Comment

You'll be exceptionally lucky to get change out of £30 for the repairs but then they might not need done. I've seen a few mastercues this way recently, same with king cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
                          I gotta say I have dealt with over 300+ Master Cues and you are Definately Wrong about the Quality of the Cues! As they are by Far the Best Value/Quality for Money Cues you can Buy!

He must have bought a Bad Batch for Very Cheap Money!

Master Cue did have a few Problems around 5/6 Years ago with there 3/4 Jointed Cues as a few of the Joints were faulty but Ukrit the Owner of Master Cue has sorted this Out.

The New Master Cues have Master Cue Engraved on the Joints.

Gaz.
                          Gaz, I'm not knocking Mastercue, as afterall, I'm buying one, but I'm not 'wrong' as you put it, and every cues joint was raised. One of the pro butt cues with a burr finish looked like the maker was drunk when he spliced it, as the edges of the top of the splice weren't even.

I agree, he may have bought a bad batch, but I would never order a cue online, of that you can be assured. Why would Mastercue have a bad batch in the first place if they were that good? Secondly, why would they let them anywhere near the market, even at a cheap price. If I owned Mastercue, I'd surely burn anything that wasn't quality to protect my reputation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 'very' fussy regarding craftmanship, but these were below what I've come to expect for cues on sale at £175. I'll check the joint for the makers name as you suggested.

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
                          You'll be exceptionally lucky to get change out of £30 for the repairs but then they might not need done. I've seen a few mastercues this way recently, same with king cues.
                          Hi mate.
                          The repairs won't cost me anything, and have been done by a friend of the seller, who I presume is either a cabinet maker or carpenter etc.

One of my friends has a King cue, and he loves the ash on the cue, but is looking for a new butt, as he doesn't like the design.

Comment

Great news.
                            I went to pick the cue up Wednesday night, and the seller had organised an exellent job on the cue.

The joint is now perfectly smooth to the ebony, and the splices now look and feel like a piece of furniture.

I guess what was done was the difference between the craftmanship being somewhat flawed, and the craftmanship being superb, so I'm very happy with the cue.

The joint does indeed have the makers mark, and the attention to detail carried out on my behalf was all done free of charge, which goes to show what a nice guy the seller is.

I now have a cue that I can be very pleased with indeed.

I put a new tip on it this morning, but didn't get the chance to play today, so tomorrow will see her maiden voyage as a member of the family.

May she bring me much happiness.

Comment

Always nice to get a happy ending

Comment

Working...
                              X