tip size/shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tip size/shape

hi all, how relevant is tip size and shape in terms of getting the maximum area of contact on the cueball? The common perception seems to be that the bigger the tip, the easier it is to find the middle of the white but how important is tip shape is relation to this? And also, how important is tip shape in relation to a good cue action in imparting spin on the white? thanks in advance....

There was a time when most players used to have a round tip (too round ) but now i think a lot of players prefer a half domed tip . Personally once i fit the tip then i hardly touch the shape of it as i think a tip of that shape plays best , well for me anyway .

The bigger the tip the less chance of imparting unwanted / unintentional side which results in greater accuracy .

Comment

I hear and read a lot about people discussing tips, but do you know what I never hear them disussing?

When does my tip need ruffing up?

When you chalk your tip, you can feel how it grips the chalk. When you can't feel it grip the chalk anymore, the tip needs ruffing up. When it's ruffed, you feel a huge difference when you chalk it.

For me, it's just as important as shape.

Your tip probably needs ruffing up twice per session, based on a session lasting 4 or more hours.

Size wise, I play with a 9.5mm tip, and just put a 10mm on, and get it cental. Before I put it on, I rough up the edges to get rid of the shine. Looking down the cue with it sat on my shoulder there is always a little bit of tip around each part of my ferrule.

If any point doesn't have an overhang, I pull it off, clean everything up, and put it back onn until I get it right.

Sometimes I'll go round the seam of the tip and ferrule with glue, before wiping the excess off. I do this to make sure there are no gaps between the ferrule and tip. Then I'll rough up the sides and surface.

I'll take about a third of the tip off with sanding, especially on a Blue Diamond.

It's the thickness that works 'for me' regarding feel.

Remember: If you don't feel the tip grip the chalk, you'll probably be due a miss cue. Always keep your tip roughed up.

Happy potting.

Comment

I hear and read a lot about people discussing tips, but do you know what I never hear them disussing?

When does my tip need ruffing up?

When you chalk your tip, you can feel how it grips the chalk. When you can't feel it grip the chalk anymore, the tip needs ruffing up. When it's ruffed, you feel a huge difference when you chalk it.

For me, it's just as important as shape.

Your tip probably needs ruffing up twice per session, based on a session lasting 4 or more hours.

Size wise, I play with a 9.5mm tip, and just put a 10mm on, and get it cental. Before I put it on, I rough up the edges to get rid of the shine. Looking down the cue with it sat on my shoulder there is always a little bit of tip around each part of my ferrule.

If any point doesn't have an overhang, I pull it off, clean everything up, and put it back onn until I get it right.

Sometimes I'll go round the seam of the tip and ferrule with glue, before wiping the excess off. I do this to make sure there are no gaps between the ferrule and tip. Then I'll rough up the sides and surface.

I'll take about a third of the tip off with sanding, especially on a Blue Diamond.

It's the thickness that works 'for me' regarding feel.

Remember: If you don't feel the tip grip the chalk, you'll probably be due a miss cue. Always keep your tip roughed up.

Happy potting.

BTW .... RUFF / ROUGH ... All the same to me lol.

Comment

I have been feeling too ruff today, cos got damned gout and can hardly walk. Also badly bloodshot left eye. Ain't got a clue where that came from.

The pleasures of aging!
          :snooker:

Comment

there was a thread on a most unorthodox tip shape some months ago... the poster apparently shaped a concave tip rather than the conventional convex shape... that was most bizarre... and rather ingenious too... no disrespect but it really made me ruff...

i find that a semi-rounded tip works well for me... something like a new pre-domed tip but with the sides filed down somewhat.
            When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Working...
            X