Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratched shaft - help needed

Hello everyone,

Few days ago my mate tried to renew my cue. He used steel wool but used it too hard... Now shaft (ash) of my cue is scratched - some kind of micro-line-holes... Here are pictures (hi res):

What I should to do now? Yes I know: shoot this man first! Well, I put some raw linseed oil on cue and after about 24 hours I buffed it with microfiber cloth. Cue is nice and quite smooth now. But I would like to do something with those scratches - I mean protect the shaft (wood) from dirt. Do you think I could put some wax on it and buff? Those scratches will be filled with wax? I have Craftsman finishing wax. Will it give me protect of the shaft? Help please...

scratched shaft

looks like he used a wire brush,i think the only way you will get them out is by lightly sanding with some 600-800 wet and dry sandpaper then move on to 1200 and then 2000 then seal it with sanding sealer then either wax or oil or even both

Comment

Just for future reference wire wool comes in lots of different grades, your friend obviously used the most coarse grade he could find
      You should only use 0000 grade, this is so soft that you can rub the back of your hand with it without even feeling any pain.....more of a polishing thing really.

Comment

Looks like some oif the original grain filler has come out also. Send it to a professional for re-finnishing.

Comment

if the hole is very small and shallow,you can put a little ball of tissue which is wet on the hole,till it dry,the hole may recover. And your cue is ash shaft,i don't think it need to be waxed for it's not maple,oil it once a month should be fine.Keep using this cue,with time passes,there will be a smooth and gloss on the surface,that time it's vert easy to clean the dirts with a wet towl~

Comment

That cue needs sanding as Jim says. Follow his advice and when shaft it smooth before sealing shaft use grain filler to bring back the grain and to make it flush with the White of the ash. Then seal with oil and buff dry. Not a big job.
            "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Could you recommend me some sanding sealer?
              Here is a lot of this: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories
              But which one would be the best?

Comment

Well I did some research and here what I found:
                1. Birchwood Casey Gun Stock SEALER & FILLER Rifle Wood LINK
                2. Rustins Wood Grain Filler Natural LINK
                3. Colron Finishing Wax LINK
                4. Cuprinol Ultra Tough Wood Filler LINK

Do you think some of the options above could be useful? Which will be the best?

Comment

normally we will do like that

Originally Posted by Pacino55 View Post
                  if the hole is very small and shallow,you can put a little ball of tissue which is wet on the hole,till it dry,the hole may recover.
                  woodscue@gmail.com

Easy way to custom made your cue

www.handmade-cue.com

Comment

scratched cue

you only use damp or steaming on a dint or hollow it raises it back out you cant do that to the scratches you need to get the scratches out then grainfill and sand seal oil or wax after

Comment

i would send it of to robin cook and ask him to do it may i ask what cue it is

Comment

looks like its just the grain filler has come out this is fairly common as ash is open grained robin cook or any cue maker will be able to sort this out as long as you don't do anything else to shaft especially waxing as this will stop grain filler adhering

Comment

Originally Posted by martinii View Post
                          Hello everyone,

Few days ago my mate tried to renew my cue. He used steel wool but used it too hard... Now shaft (ash) of my cue is scratched - some kind of micro-line-holes... Here are pictures (hi res):

What I should to do now? Yes I know: shoot this man first! Well, I put some raw linseed oil on cue and after about 24 hours I buffed it with microfiber cloth. Cue is nice and quite smooth now. But I would like to do something with those scratches - I mean protect the shaft (wood) from dirt. Do you think I could put some wax on it and buff? Those scratches will be filled with wax? I have Craftsman finishing wax. Will it give me protect of the shaft? Help please...
                          Your friend took out the grain filler in the ash, and you have oiled it. I think you do not need to use any tissue or things like that, but just to fill the open grains on the ash again. Waxing and oiling before the grains are filled is not a very good idea. You should not try to wax or oil anymore, but to take it to a good cue maker and let him take care of this for you, in my humble opinion..
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                          X