Oops Snapped cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops Snapped cue

A friend of mine brought round a cue for me to have a go at trying to fix...here is the cue...

He said that his mate had whacked it aff the pool table. So i had a wee go at trying to put it back together..

Mixed up some cascamite wood glue and then clamped it all together and left it for several hours.

After removing the clamps i sanded the shaft to get it as smooth as i could then i gave it a good clean with white spirit and then i gave it a going over with some wood die....

Then i sanded it some more with some very fine wet and dry paper and then i gave it a couple of coats of cuecraft cue wax and here is the result !

Not bad for my first attempt at fixing a broken cue..The cue is now very usable so i just hope he is as happy as i am with the end result..
    Last edited by warren132; 26 March 2011, 04:57 PM.
    Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Broken Cue

Knew you could sort it buddie, Look's superb. Cant wait to see it in hand.

Comment

hope it stays strong enough and plays well, I personally doubt it will last though. There will always be a weakness there and its very unlikely that at some point it won't break in the same place again, even if you look after it.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
        hope it stays strong enough and plays well, I personally doubt it will last though. There will always be a weakness there and its very unlikely that at some point it won't break in the same place again, even if you look after it.
        Dang that's a great effort m8. Hope it stays the course!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
          correct - after a bash like that i am afraid its never the same again.
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
            correct - after a bash like that i am afraid its never the same again.
            You might be right in terms of the overall "feel" ......but if it breaks clean, the splinters are quite long and fit back together nicely ( and cue remains straight ) then it can work out ok.

If the glue mix is good enough and more importantly strong enough it can work out fine. I experimented with a broken shaft glued it back together then tryed to snap it again to test the strength of the repair and the cue actually snapped somewhere else.

This proves you can get a repair stronger than wood itself sometimes and still have a very playable cue.....providing of course you don't snap it again after to prove how strong the original repair is......

Comment

Thanks very much for the comments guys...after some good advice from a good friend i have decided to take his advice and put several small wooden pins in the cue just for some back up strenghthining so i shal post up some pics of the pins befor and after..once again thanks guys and thanks JB for the text messages !

Comment

Forget to say in my last post Warren
                Its always worth giving something a go just to see what happens....... no harm trying anyway and it might just work out ok, nothing ventured etc

Nice work mate !

Comment

I think that cue is fu**ed whatever you do. Glue cannot replace wood.
                  Brilliant effort though.
                  Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

ignore the negative comments mate, i think you've done a great job there.

well done.

Comment

Originally Posted by the_paz View Post
                      ignore the negative comments mate, i think you've done a great job there.

well done.
                      I don't think anyone meant to be negative, that's a really good job you're doing.
                      Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

Originally Posted by nevets View Post
                        I don't think anyone meant to be negative, that's a really good job you're doing.
                        Thanks Paz.Dont think anyone is being negative m8 its an open forum and i put pics of the cue on here so i could get peoples opinions and any help or ideas on how i might fix a broken cue again in the futrue..So thanks again paz for your comment as everyones comments means alot.
                        '
                        cheers !

Comment

what make of cue is it warren? as to how it plays you'll never know someone might pick it up and love it. I don't want to see it on the forum for sell tho

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                            what make of cue is it warren? as to how it plays you'll never know someone might pick it up and love it. I don't want to see it on the forum for sell tho
                            Would be ironic if it was indeed 'The One' huh Caz?

Comment

I'll give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                              X