Search For A Cue - Part 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search For A Cue - Part 3

Each week I used to drive from Oxfordshire to the North-East and back again and I always used to call in to Craftsman Cues and became good mates. Andrew Ramsay and myself had fallen in love with 'Karelian birch' so I bought some directly from Northern Finland and Andrew got Dave and Simon at Craftsman to make us some cues. They were lovely looking cues but once again didn't feel right for me! I then bought Wally Wests original cue which was far too short for me as well as a Parris machine spliced cue and another Riley Tombstone cue which was in perfect condition. None of these cues felt right so they were all sold on fairly quickly.

I then asked Paul Roberts (Stamford Cues) and Dave Brown (Craftsman) to make me cues and while I was waiting I also asked Kev Muncaster (North West) and Trevor White to also make me cues!! So there I was waiting for 4 handmade cues, all pretty much the same spec (59in long, 3/4 joined and around 18.5oz) so in the meantime I bought a Parris centre joined Traditional that had been made for Ronnie Osullivan at a time that he was using a motorbike!! I then went completely nuts and also ordered a John Parris 'Special' cue!! Over the next few months each of the above cues arrived and each was absolutely perfect........exactly what I had requested but sadly none of them had that magical 'feel' that is so important. I tried each cue with different tips just in case it was the tip and not the cue but with no luck so each of the above handmade cues was sold on!!

Andrew Ramsay then sold me one of the loveliest looking cues that I have ever seen. Andrew bought it from Dominic Dale and the cue was a work of art!! It was the silkiest smoothest ash cue that I had ever held, one piece with 10mm tip and 57.75in long. It looked so good that it deserved to be hung on the wall........but wasn't to my spec sadly so had to go!!

Next I tried out two Accuerate cues!! One of the reminded me of my original Northwest cue in that it was a horrible piece of maple but actually played really well. I went for a days coaching at Del Hills house with that Accuerate cue and with Dels tuition played really well with it. I then bought a Trevor White ash one piece cue, a Trevor White 'thuya burr' spliced maple cue and a Trevor White cue that looked like Matthew Stevens cue with the tulip wood. I also bought a Trevor White ash one piece cue from Andrew Ramsay that I really loved as the 'arrows' were perfect although the cue was just a little short for me. However the cue had a lovely 'feel' so I decided to use it as my playing cue!!

Happy again with my playing cue I then bought a black plate old Hunt & Obyrne ash cue that had belonged to Mark Flowerdew and an original old Hunt & Obyrne green plate 3/4 ash cue. These were both lovely cues but not for me.........so off they went!!

So there I was, about 2 years ago, happily playing with a one piece Trevor White cue and all was well in the world!! The Trevor cue was cue number 63 in my search...........

The final part of my search will bring me up to date and I will then reveal my latest masterpiece.......the best cue ever made in the history of cues!!

Oldgit :snooker:
    'Believe To Achieve'

You must be skint by now lol

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      You must be skint by now lol
      lol.........my wife still thinks that all cues cost a max of £50!!

Seriously, I have nearly always sold used cues for what I paid for them and never really lost a great deal on the new cues that I bought. If you pay £400 for a cue and get enjoyment from it and sell it on for £350 then I consider that the £50 is very little to pay for a hobby that I enjoy!!

I probably need therapy though.......'I am Oldgit and I have a serious addiction'!! lol

Oldgit :snooker:
      'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Lol just looked at your profile....are you really an Astronaut

Comment

Cuemakers must love you! The good thing is in buying top class cues if you don't like them you can sell them on and at least get your money back.
          #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Again, what a read, interested in reading part 4.

Comment

I,m not youre long lost son am i :

Comment

Working...
              X