glue for ferrule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cantpot:

Sorry for taking so long, I had trouble accessing the site for some reason but seems OK now.

That sounds excellent and I would really appreciate it if you could crank off 3 to 5 of these. Just one correction on the height of the ferrule, could you make it 7mm height, 9.4mm outside diameter. I have a jeweler's digital scale here and I will be interested to see if there's much weight difference with the brass ferrules I have.

No rush on these as it looks like our posties are going on strike at midnight tonight unless there's a last minute agreement so I won't be getting any mail until the politicos legislate them back to work like they did last time. Everyone is shifting to electronic means these days and all they are doing is shooting themselves in the foot (who sends snail mail these days?)

Cheers,
    Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Terry, not a big difference as per the chart below. I have been meaning to cut these Titanium ferrules but have been busy aquiring new lathes and such to ramp up my cue repair shop to cue building, should have the first ones out by September and will try to get the ferrules done over the next few weeks, these are half the weight and twice as strong so the wall thickness can be a little thinner but not so as it cuts into the shoulder of the tenon.

densities in (kg/m3)

Admiralty Brass 8525
      Aluminum 2712
      Aluminum - melted 2560 - 2640
      Aluminum bronze (3-10% Al) 7700 - 8700
      Aluminum foil 2700 -2750
      Antifriction metal 9130 -10600
      Antimony 6690
      Beryllium 1840
      Beryllium copper 8100 - 8250
      Bismuth 9750
      Brass - casting 8400 - 8700
      Brass - rolled and drawn 8430 - 8730
      Brass 60/40 8520
      Bronze - lead 7700 - 8700
      Bronze - phosphorous 8780 - 8920
      Bronze (8-14% Sn) 7400 - 8900
      Cadmium 8640
      Cast iron 6800 - 7800
      Chemical Lead 11340
      Chromium 7190
      Cobalt 8746
      Constantan 8920
      Copper 8930
      Cupronickel 8940
      Delta metal 8600
      Electrum 8400 - 8900
      Gold 19320
      Hatelloy 9245
      Inconel 8497
      Incoloy 8027
      Iron 7850
      Lead 11340
      Light alloy based on Al 2560 - 2800
      Light alloy based on Mg 1760 - 1870
      Magnesium 1738
      Manganese Bronze 8359
      Mercury 13593
      Molybdenum 10188
      Monel 8360 - 8840
      Nickel 8800
      Nickel silver 8400 - 8900
      Nimonic 8100
      Palladium 12160
      Phosphor bronze 8900
      Platinum 21400
      Plutonium 19816
      Red Brass 8746
      Silver 10490
      Sodium 971
      Solder 50/50 Pb Sn 8885
      Stainless Steel 7480 - 8000
      Steel 7850
      Tin 7280
      Titanium 4500
      Tungsten 19600
      Uranium 18900
      Vanadium 5494
      White metal 7100
      Wrought Iron 7750
      Zinc 7135
      Zirconium 6570
      Yellow Brass 8470

Comment

slasher would u be able to make titanium joints because mike was looking for some

Comment

Slasher:

That would be great if you could make me 3-5 of the titanium at 9.4mm with a height of 7mm. I have no problem compensating you for your time & materials.

I didn't know you ran a cue repair business (and are now moving into cue building). So I guess a couple of questions are in order:

1. I have an el cheapo Omin machine-spliced cue here which had the top 6" snapped off by Purolator (don't ya just luv those guys!). It's a 3/4-butt ash and I need 6" added back onto it somehow to get it back to 57". If I sent you the cue would you be capable of adding about 6" to it, shaving down the shaft to get the taper back and installing a titanium ferrule with no tip as I will put on a Kamui when I get it back. Not counting shipping how much do you figure that would cost me? (Idea being, I want to use this cue as an experimental on the ferrules plus the damned thing hit VERY well when it was in one piece and had a stainless ferrule).

2. What type of cues will you be making? Like centre-jointed 2-piece?, 3/4-butt?, will you also have an SD butt socket installed for extensions and what kind of splicing for the butt (butterfly like DeRoo or 4 point like the British cuemakers), maple and ash shafts, choice of splices and veneers? I assume you would be doing custom orders so for a 3/4-butt with normal specs and not too heavy on the splices and veneers what (ballpark) do you figure you might be charging?

I could do some marketing for you in Ontario if you felt the need.

(Use PM if you want to keep it private)

Cheers,
          Terry
          Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by jay_j View Post
            slasher would u be able to make titanium joints because mike was looking for some
            The ferrules will be my first foray into machining Ti, let me see how that works out and I will get back to you.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              Slasher:

That would be great if you could make me 3-5 of the titanium at 9.4mm with a height of 7mm. I have no problem compensating you for your time & materials.

I didn't know you ran a cue repair business (and are now moving into cue building). So I guess a couple of questions are in order:

1. I have an el cheapo Omin machine-spliced cue here which had the top 6" snapped off by Purolator (don't ya just luv those guys!). It's a 3/4-butt ash and I need 6" added back onto it somehow to get it back to 57". If I sent you the cue would you be capable of adding about 6" to it, shaving down the shaft to get the taper back and installing a titanium ferrule with no tip as I will put on a Kamui when I get it back. Not counting shipping how much do you figure that would cost me? (Idea being, I want to use this cue as an experimental on the ferrules plus the damned thing hit VERY well when it was in one piece and had a stainless ferrule).

2. What type of cues will you be making? Like centre-jointed 2-piece?, 3/4-butt?, will you also have an SD butt socket installed for extensions and what kind of splicing for the butt (butterfly like DeRoo or 4 point like the British cuemakers), maple and ash shafts, choice of splices and veneers? I assume you would be doing custom orders so for a 3/4-butt with normal specs and not too heavy on the splices and veneers what (ballpark) do you figure you might be charging?

I could do some marketing for you in Ontario if you felt the need.

(Use PM if you want to keep it private)

Cheers,
              Terry
              Terry, just got the new tapering machine home and will be working on the set up over the next few weeks so I need to sort out the shaft taper bars but I should be able to fix up that Omin by extending the shaft or the butt.
              The first model will be a Brunswick Trophy replica with a few improvements, these are always in demand around here so we should be able to sell a few. Future models and customs will come in mainly maple 2pc as I have a good source of seasoned maple. I may consider ash at some point if the right timber becomes available but even then processing will take quite some time. I understand even a well known cue maker is currently having an issue with ash supply.

Comment

I'll check back with you in 2-3 weeks if I can remember

Terry
                Terry Davidson

Comment

If your ferrule is threaded most epoxy should work well as long you mix it up well before you apply it.
                  LePage or Alderite should work just fine for your application.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                  X