The tragedy of jointed cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The tragedy of jointed cues

So recently I've been going through the motions about getting a new cue or getting my Craftsman Majestic jointed. I'm just not sure I can bring myself to get it jointed!

I'm wondering what the cue makers think, if anything, when they have all the beautiful pieces of wood brought together then cutting the cue in to bits?

For me there's just something about having it all as one solid piece, and something a little wrong about separating them. Whether that's something intangible or tangible, I just hate the idea of have a stunningly spliced cue cut!

Thoughts?
    Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Steve Davis did it but I think it would be a sin. Would change the characteristics of the cue IMO. Big decision. Maybe like having a vasectomy? To snip or not to snip?

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
      ..... Maybe like having a vasectomy? To snip or not to snip?
      That can be reversed snipping a cue into 2 pieces can't
      Don't forget the weight of the joint will alter your cue, so take that into consideration too

Comment

i had my trev cue done by trev, it feels the same as before, but i like u thought long and hard before i did it.

has had a few done in past and it ruined them, but since trev did mine and its bang on, it can be done well while maintaining the same feel. think got something to do with getting the joint in right place for balance.

so really in my opinion its down to the person who joints it for you but it can be done maintaining the same feel of a one piece cue

Comment

I personally wouldnt.

Why do you want to add a joint?

Comment

travelling purposes was reason i did mine

Comment

Well as far as my own cue is concerned I wanted it jointed purely for travelling purposes.

But I'm not just talking about having a 1 piece for a while then getting it jointed. Could be a brand new cue. I wonder what the cue makers think about doing it.

As I say it could well be something completely intangible, and not even about feel and balance. Just the point that you have this great piece of craftsmanship (I'll stop short of calling it art) then you cut in to it. So essentially the expensive woods you paid for are then separated from the rest of the cue.

Obviously this is just my feeling on it, I'm not saying jointed cues are necessarily inferior.
              Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

If you buy a brand new 3/4 joint cue and a brand new one piece. You know these will be made differently?

You dont make all cues one piece and then cut the joint.

As for a cuemakers opinion, lets see if trevor white or mw respond on this thread. I would say they do whatever makes the money.

If the cue plays perfectly well for you as a one piece then why not keep it the same and just concentrate on winning games.

Comment

don't do it
                  The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                    If you buy a brand new 3/4 joint cue and a brand new one piece. You know these will be made differently?

You dont make all cues one piece and then cut the joint.

As for a cuemakers opinion, lets see if trevor white or mw respond on this thread. I would say they do whatever makes the money.

If the cue plays perfectly well for you as a one piece then why not keep it the same and just concentrate on winning games.
                    It doesn't matter to me at what stage the wood is separated. I guess it's hard to explain to anyone who doesn't feel the same way about it as I do.

By the way guys, I appreciate the advice about my own cue but I'm not really after your advice on that, just letting you know what got me thinking about this. Thanks anyway though!

As far as focussing on winning games goes, I just play for ****s and giggles! However I do have an interest in cues :-).

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                      don't do it
                      Care to expand on your feeling about this topic Mike? I know you have your own special type of invisible joint that I've admired on your website.

Comment

imo, my 'invisible' join with wood to wood contact gives the closest feel to a 1pc.

however, i've always recommended 1pc cues. and always will.

i developed the join purely to satisfy demand for jointed cues, but given the choice i'd never make another jointed cue in my life.
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

ones ive gone through painful process of joint repair with cue going back and forth three times back to cue-maker since then ive decided to stick with 1 piece cue indefinitely! no join - no worries. just one thought of cutting my new TW cue in half would make me physically sick also as i dont have a car and tend to commute a lot, so to cary one piece case does not make my journey a great deal more difficult nor uncomfortable if that is the case . :snooker:

Comment

Ive got the solution, ........ get some coloured tape ,wrap it around the cue neatly on the balance point.......then wheeehaaay
                            bobs yr uncle , now its a two piece , and if you cant get on with the new balance then sell it on ebay for £6,000 or something like.

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                              imo, my 'invisible' join with wood to wood contact gives the closest feel to a 1pc.

however, i've always recommended 1pc cues. and always will.

i developed the join purely to satisfy demand for jointed cues, but given the choice i'd never make another jointed cue in my life.
                              Thanks Mike, very definitive answer there!

Comment

Working...
                              X