Removing varnish on cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing varnish on cue

I've got an Andy Bream 2 piece cue which is varnished just above the join down to the butt and wish to remove the varnish. What is the best way of doing this?

Cheers.

Not sure about the "best" way, but i think the only way is by using sandpaper

Comment

I would have thought varnish remover may do the trick too
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Old cue collector --
      Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
      (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
        Not sure about the "best" way, but i think the only way is by using sandpaper
        Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
        I would have thought varnish remover may do the trick too
        sandpaper is very easy ... I've never tried varnish remover but I'd worry about that ...

I removed the varnish from my pool cue, a Cannon Scorpion in about 10mins ... start with medium (say 400 grit) sanding up and down the shaft (not across it) and the varnish comes off very easily ... you can tell by holding the cue up at a glancing angle to a light and you'll see the shiny varnish change to matt wood ... then if you want, use a finer sandpaper to smooth the wood more ...

very easy, takes about 10mins even for a DIY-phobe like myself ... only problem is the shine and the stickiness seem to come back every few months so I give it another couple of mins with a fine (say 600 grit) sandpaper ...

I also have a handmade Welsh Pool Trading cue which I use for snooker which was oil finished from the start and never needs any maintenance apart from the occasional wipe down with a very slightly damp cloth so it's very noticeable that the Cannon (the ex-varnished cue) becomes shiny and sticky in comparison ...

don't know why, you'd have thought once the varnish is removed it should be gone forever but that doesn't seem to be the case ... although it is *so* much better without the varnish ... snooker or pool is plenty hard enough anyway without having to try to allow for a sticky shaft sticking to your bridge hand

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
          sandpaper is very easy ... I've never tried varnish remover but I'd worry about that ...

I removed the varnish from my pool cue, a Cannon Scorpion in about 10mins ... start with medium (say 400 grit) sanding up and down the shaft (not across it) and the varnish comes off very easily ... you can tell by holding the cue up at a glancing angle to a light and you'll see the shiny varnish change to matt wood ... then if you want, use a finer sandpaper to smooth the wood more ...

very easy, takes about 10mins even for a DIY-phobe like myself ... only problem is the shine and the stickiness seem to come back every few months so I give it another couple of mins with a fine (say 600 grit) sandpaper ...

I also have a handmade Welsh Pool Trading cue which I use for snooker which was oil finished from the start and never needs any maintenance apart from the occasional wipe down with a very slightly damp cloth so it's very noticeable that the Cannon (the ex-varnished cue) becomes shiny and sticky in comparison ...

don't know why, you'd have thought once the varnish is removed it should be gone forever but that doesn't seem to be the case ... although it is *so* much better without the varnish ... snooker or pool is plenty hard enough anyway without having to try to allow for a sticky shaft sticking to your bridge hand
          Thanks DandyA.... i will give it a go this weekend. I was going to sandpaper it but was a little scared that I was going to damage the cue.

Cheers for the advice.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigkahuna View Post
            I've got an Andy Bream 2 piece cue which is varnished just above the join down to the butt and wish to remove the varnish. What is the best way of doing this?

Cheers.
            u don't have any other Andy bream cues u want to sell or know of any??

Comment

Originally Posted by jay_j View Post
              u don't have any other Andy bream cues u want to sell or know of any??
              no i dont unfortunately.... I've had this andy bream cue for about 15 years now and it's an awesome cue. I recently got a Trevor White cue cos I wanted to try something different for the hell of it. Still getting used to it as it's a slightly slimmer butt and lighter too. Takes time i guess.

Comment

thanks for the reply mate ill keep looking

Comment

Once you have removed the varnished and smoothed the cue, you need to oil it.

Many discussions on here about oils, just do a search.

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                    Once you have removed the varnished and smoothed the cue, you need to oil it.

Many discussions on here about oils, just do a search.
                    I've got some oil from mike wooldridge which im planning on using. Thanks.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigkahuna View Post
                      I've got some oil from mike wooldridge which im planning on using. Thanks.
                      I have used this, will do job no problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X