No announcement yet.

Ronnie O'Sullivans Playing Cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are right of course about Ronnie being able to play fantastic snooker with any good cue but I got to know John Parris quite well, I used to go to his shop regularly and got to try out quite a few of the ultimate cues that John made for Ronnie. Ronnie used to try them out and then returned them but to my eye and feel they were all spectacular cues. They were all the same specs with perfect straight grain and arrows but obviously Ronnie was looking for a magic 'feel' which is, I suppose, what we are all looking for!!
    Oldgit

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
    This just proves what a natural talent he is.

Plus, I am big believer in needing a good cue but good players can play with any good cue.

I think the spec is really important but if Ronnie was to pick up 2 good cues with his spec, he could play well with em both!
    'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Oldgit I don't wish to be the bearer of bad news but how certain are you that the cue you bought is genuine? You do realise people on Ebay aren't always telling the truth. I can be about 85% certain the cue Ronnie used after the Burwat was the one he gave away to that kid in 2006, the one you are now claiming to own. Now if you have done some research into the age of the then obviously something doesn't add up and IMO its more likely that you have been conned into believing the cue you had was really Ronnie's. I have watched near enough every match of Ronnie since he was 17 and can tell from the grain pattern when he has changed model of cues.

The only possibility that I can come up with is if Ronnie did originally use a Traditional model which I thought he may have done and then JP put in an Ultimate badge for him at a later date, possibly when the joint was added?

Edited to say I just read your other post on the cue and realise that you have some further info on the cue. Still fair play to you and I'm not gonna put any further doubt in your mind because you have a cue your happy with.
      Last edited by cueman; 12 June 2011, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Cueman, in this instance I am 100% certain. I knew from TV what the lad looked like and I actually met the lad and his mother, both really nice people. I know for sure that the cue is genuine as I studied the grain pattern so knew exactly what it looked like. I was a little unsure from the ebay advert but when I saw the cue I realised that the lad had taken his ebay photo of the bottom of the cue shaft and not the top. Ronnies cue is very unique as there are 'arrows' on the top of the shaft and 'arrows' also on the bottom, both going the same way which is pretty rare. I also looked at video footage of Ronnie playing Dave Harold in the first round of 2006 WC and getting a century break and that clearly shows the cue and ash grain......so then I started going backwards in time and got back to 2004.......and thats really only as far as I have researched. It may be (as you say) that the original cue was badged as a traditional and that John Parris maybe rebadged it as an ultimate in 2003. I suppose that only John Parris or Ronnie himself can tell me with any certainty. All that I know for an absolute fact at the moment is that the cue that Ronnie gave away at the 2006 WC is the exact same cue that I will be sleeping with tonight in the spare bedroom !!
        I will take a few photos tomorrow and Andrew has kindly offered to put them here on the forum as I don't know how, don't forget that I am an Oldgit!!
        Thanks anyway Cueman.

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
        Oldgit I don't wish to be the bearer of bad news but how certain are you that the cue you bought is genuine? You do realise people on Ebay aren't always telling the truth. I can be about 85% certain the cue Ronnie used after the Burwat was the one he gave away to that kid in 2006, the one you are now claiming to own. Now if you have done some research into the age of the then obviously something doesn't add up and IMO its more likely that you have been conned into believing the cue you had was really Ronnie's. I have watched near enough every match of Ronnie since he was 17 and can tell from the grain pattern when he has changed model of cues.

The only possibility that I can come up with is if Ronnie did originally use a Traditional model which I thought he may have done and then JP put in an Ultimate badge for him at a later date, possibly when the joint was added?

Edited to say I just read your other post on the cue and realise that you have some further info on the cue. Still fair play to you and I'm not gonna put any further doubt in your mind because you have a cue your happy with.
        'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Why not just ring John Parris and ask him about the cue.
          My deep screw shot
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

I've just had a nice long telephone conversation with John Parris and what he told me is very similar to what Cueman said in his message. John said that Ronnie used his original Burwat Champion cue from the age of 12 and Johns first job on the cue was to shorten it for Ronnie as it was too long for a 12 year old!! John then said that over the next few years it was lengthened, and modified and then remodified many times!! John said that the original splicings had to be replaced and over the years there was a massive amount of work on that cue and John seems to think that it was eventually auctioned off and Ronnie then began using the cue that I now have. John and Chris were kind enough to spend time going through lots of old paperwork and John thinks that it was modified and maybe rebadged as number 805 as he would have just used the next number disc available at that time. John confirmed that he thinks that over the years Ronnie has only used very few actual playing cues (original Burwat, this cue, cue that he smashed, cue that he gave to Damien Hirst, Robert Osbourne and now the latest one that he is using). I am going to email some photos to John and he promised to reply with any further information that he can come up with.
            Oldgit
            'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Cograts Oldgit for buying that cue! I am looking foreworth to the pics...
              Cuemaxx snooker channel on youtube

Comment

Originally Posted by cuemaxx View Post
                Cograts Oldgit for buying that cue! I am looking foreworth to the pics...
                they are already up on the story thread.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by Asi View Post
                  Anybody knows what with his H&O cue? It was olivwood with red venners i think.
                  Yes Asi I think you having it don't cha??? Or I might be wrong

Comment

Originally Posted by 147alltheway View Post
                    Yes Asi I think you having it don't cha??? Or I might be wrong
                    Its the replica...no?!
                    Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Working...
                    X