Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a lighter cue for UK 8 ball pool??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
    Cue is available for £150 for TSF.
    im looking for a 1 piece cue u got any? . cant get on the page

Comment

Originally Posted by Wardy147 View Post
      im looking for a 1 piece cue u got any? . cant get on the page
      It is one piece yes. Whats ur email address?

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
        It is one piece yes. Whats ur email address?
        wardy009@hotmail.co.uk

Comment

Just another update:

I received a 15oz cuecraft ebony free cue from ADR and was surprised how whippy the cue is compared to my regular cue.

I decided to get it trimmed down a couple of inches to 55" so the tip is now 8.5mm instead of around 8mm which has helped a little with the flex in the shaft and also have a MW super tip fitted.

Early impressions are that the weight feels great when getting down to the shot and feathering is a much more natural. When in amongst the balls, touch shots are very easy to judge so all in all I'm pleased with this gain in feel.

What I have lost out on now compared to my 17oz cue is I'm struggling to deep screw back from distance (not a problem with other cue with Talisman M tip). I'm not sure if this might be a problem with losing 2oz's or perhaps the whippyness of the cue? I'm assuming the MW pressed tip is as grippy as the Talisman M for spin.

All in all I've gained in one area and lost out in another. I'm going to play some more with the 15oz cue before making a decision to perhaps remove weight in my std. cue.

Comment

Perhaps you have less grip with the MW tip.Are you comparing like for like i.e. tip size is identical,weght and balance point are similar (if not identical). I ask because if length,weight and balance point are too dissimilar then your timing may be out.This is not meant as a criticism but timing and " playing through" the cue ball are important when you are trying to play any screw shot.Anyone can put a cue and object ball 2" apart and screw back 18"-36" or more on a pool table,but if you are potting at 60"-70" away and trying to screw back any sort of distance ,e.g.back to baulk, a 1 7/8" lightweight pool ball then timing and technique is more important.One other thing to bear in mind is that,as far as I know MW Supertip are pressed tips and Talisman are 3 layer tips and Talisman Ms are quite a hard tip as well.The flex in the shaft may also be a factor for you as you may take time adjusting to the differences between your old and new cues.I am however glad that you are "warming" to the pleasure and fun that can be had from "lightweight cues" and welcome to "The Club", from 8 ball fanatics everywhere !!!!

Comment

You could be right re. timing. I'm still getting used to it as i'm only using the cue in practice (on my own) and it's probably not helping that I'm reverting back to my regular cue for my competitive matches which I've had 3 this week where I don't want to risk using a new cue that i'm not 100% with.

The tip size is the same for both cues but my regular cue is 1" longer but I do hold it further in by approx. 1" so I would say the length over bridge hand is the same. The balance point on the lightweight cue is 14" compared to 17" of the 17oz cue.

Perhaps I should make it clear that with the lightweight cue i can still screw back full length of the table (pool) from a reasonable distance but for the same effort my other cue will probably come back 50% further so perhaps it's just something that I need to get used to a bit more.

As mentioned earlier, this cue was a cheap'ish experiment which is why I asked for a cheaper MW pressed tip but I suppose it's only £2.50 more for the Talisman albeit "double" the cost sounds so much more lol

Going down the club tonight to play some real players with it so will see how I get on with it....

If I really warm to the weight I think I will get some weight took out from my regular cue.

Comment

I know it is slightly defeating the object ,but how about putting 1oz of lead tape on to the shaft to move the balance point further forward.The weight would be 16oz ( still lighter than your original cue) and with a balance point closer to say 15"-16" perhaps your timing will improve.I personally think that forward weighted cues make it easier to play screw shots,but then I have played with cues with 12" & 15" balance points, so perhaps my idea of forward weighted is different from the norm.If you have tried this experiment and your screw shots improve then perhaps all you need to do is change the balance point from 14" and re-weight the cue to regain "feel".Just a thought and good luck.

Comment

Thanks old school but you're right about defeating the object...

I do think you are right regarding screw back using a cue with a more forward balance. It was one of the reasons I got the cue trimmed down to 55" so that I hold the cue near the end as the balance point is too far back.

Anyhow just returned from the club where I played most of the club league players and won 95% of my games with it so I'm pleased so far. If I keep enjoying it I think I will get in contact with cue maker for another lightweight butt made up for my other cue at least that way I have an option to go back to original if it doesn't work out.

Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread

Comment

No problem,glad to be of some help,thats what the forum is all about.Who knows one day we may get you below 14oz and then under 12oz,now that is an exclusive club !!!! Enjoy your game.

Comment

Working...
                    X