Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone confirm the shaft wood of this cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone confirm the shaft wood of this cue?

I acquired this Cannon match cue not so long ago, believing it to be a maple cue but now i'm not convinced. The grain pattern just doesn't look like maple to me:

IMG00151-20110623-2317.jpgIMG00150-20110623-2317.jpgIMG00149-20110623-2316.jpgIMG00148-20110623-2316.jpg

The photos aren't the best quality, and to be honest the actual colour of the wood isn't that light.....it's more honey coloured.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Deffinitely maple muck .

Comment

Maple it is then!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally Posted by DocJ View Post
        I acquired this Cannon match cue not so long ago, believing it to be a maple cue but now i'm not convinced. The grain pattern just doesn't look like maple to me:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7850[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7851[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7852[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7853[/ATTACH]

The photos aren't the best quality, and to be honest the actual colour of the wood isn't that light.....it's more honey coloured.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Can you get a better image of it.???

From looking at those you've posted, it seems to have some silvery flecks / streaks running through it here and there. Can you say whether it has anything that looks like that, because if it does, it's hornbeam and not maple.

Comment

I have to say that I did wonder if it might be Hornbeam but i'm no expert, so I bowed to Hotpot's greater cue knowledge. I'll have a look later and see if I can get some better photos.......

Comment

Either Hornbeam or at worst it is recycled, compressed wood.

Comment

impossible to tell from those pictures.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Not clear enough pics but having seen one of these before i would put money on it being hornbeam.
                Clearer pics would help.
                "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Very difficult to judge from these photos,but the j.peg with the weight stamp seems to give the impression of hornbeam.The colour is slightly wrong for hornbeam but what you can see of the grain pattern reminds me of a hornbeam shafted Ashcroft that I posess.Unfortunately a higher res j.peg might be too big a file to post.Anyone know a way around that ?

Comment

More pics. Hopefully these will reveal a bit more.......

http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSCF0789.jpg

http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSCF0791.jpg

Comment

Doesnt look like maple to me.

More like hornbeam but I have only seen one hornbeam cue so let the better hornbeam experts confirm.

Comment

Looks like hornbeam as i expected. Although i might be wrong.
                        "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Originally Posted by DocJ View Post

100% certain that is sapient pearwood, verty rare and cracking wood - google it

Comment

lol very good.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

If its sapient pearwod,does that mean it will have little legs and run on the table potting every thing for you ? No one would argue with it anyway,bit like ADR really.On a more serious note,I think that the cue is hornbeam.

Comment

Working...
                              X