Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone confirm the shaft wood of this cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by old school View Post
    If its sapient pearwod,does that mean it will have little legs and run on the table potting every thing for you ? No one would argue with it anyway,bit like ADR really.On a more serious note,I think that the cue is hornbeam.

no it just eats the opposition if they start winning

Comment

Bit like ADR !!!!!!

Comment

OK, I think we're settled on Hornbeam now - although i'd rather it was Sapient Pearwood

Thank for all the input, everybody.......

Comment

Hornbeam.
          If you ever think of selling it, let me know.....
          Dean
          If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Being hornbeam make it more valuable than maple?
            Is hornbeam stiffer or more flexible than maple/ash?
            In my knowledge I have never seen a hornbeam cue.
            Cheers
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

My limited knowledge tells me that it is more valuable than maple........simply because it's rarer I imagine. I saw a Hornbeam Cannon Match cue sell for £250 on the forum a while back......normally they don't go for much more than £180 at best I think. I never paid £250 for mine

As for playability compared to other woods - I don't have a clue!

Comment

thanks for that, so from this thread hornbeam can be recognised by the silvery flecks in the grain, yes?
                I will keep a look out in the future.
                Cheers
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I think at the time Cannon produced their match cues in all kinds of wood available for cue making. I knew they made them in maple and ash, and my dad has one that is made in pear wood. (Its absolutely beautiful!), so it wouldn't surprise me that they did one in hornbeam. If anyone has a pearwood cannon match cue I'd definately be interested in buying it! (even though I have been promised dads when he retires fully or worse...
                  From what I understand, hornbeam is a supposed to be a pretty stiff cue, compared to the pear wood, which is supposedly "whippy", although I have had a go with both types (pear cannon, and a different make hornbeam) and there wasn't much difference. The pear wood cue was quite simply a beautiful cue to play with, although unfortunately I would never use it, as it doesn't "feel" right to me. I will never sell it.
                  Having spoken to Andy Hunter regarding dads cue, he advised me regarding the Cannon range, saying that the ash/maple would be worth around £150-£200 for a good condition cue, other wood types similar up to approx £250, and the pearwood cue value ranges from £200 - £300 for a collector, probably going higher (up to £400) for a player as they are extremely highly regarded as a playing cue if you have one that is straight.
                  Hope this helps.
                  Dean.
                  If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Originally Posted by deant1982 View Post
                    I think at the time Cannon produced their match cues in all kinds of wood available for cue making. I knew they made them in maple and ash, and my dad has one that is made in pear wood. (Its absolutely beautiful!), so it wouldn't surprise me that they did one in hornbeam. If anyone has a pearwood cannon match cue I'd definately be interested in buying it! (even though I have been promised dads when he retires fully or worse...
                    From what I understand, hornbeam is a supposed to be a pretty stiff cue, compared to the pear wood, which is supposedly "whippy", although I have had a go with both types (pear cannon, and a different make hornbeam) and there wasn't much difference. The pear wood cue was quite simply a beautiful cue to play with, although unfortunately I would never use it, as it doesn't "feel" right to me. I will never sell it.
                    Having spoken to Andy Hunter regarding dads cue, he advised me regarding the Cannon range, saying that the ash/maple would be worth around £150-£200 for a good condition cue, other wood types similar up to approx £250, and the pearwood cue value ranges from £200 - £300 for a collector, probably going higher (up to £400) for a player as they are extremely highly regarded as a playing cue if you have one that is straight.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Dean.
                    i would agree with that valuation.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Good Day, I am not a professional wood coneisseur. My thought was that its maple, not white rock maple but a softer maple that usually is beige/yellowish in colour.
                      Cheers, Mate
                      I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                      X