Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuemaker in Geelong, Australia

Hi all,

I have heard rumours of a (supposedly skilled) cuemaker in Geelong, Victoria. Can any Aussies confirm/provide some more info?

Cheers.

yep. mill. makes ivory league cues. good craftsman ship. overpriced IMO. i hav yet to find a cue of his that hits really well. or i like, enough to justify the price he puts on them. ben nunan n steve mifsud both use ivory league cues. good enough for them, must be good enough for anyone right? :P

Comment

do we have any cue makers left in oz worth buying off??

Comment

from experience, zaks makes an affordable good feeling, good hitting cue. although i find his splices look a bit funny. sometimes theyre very short, like close to the joint. peter hanleys splice work isnt the best, but he makes a good hitting cue. both much cheaper than ivory league cues.

Comment

i use to own a zac's he made for bronson bout 5 years ago and loved it until it was stolen but ive not been a fan of his new stuff in seeing up here

Comment

Originally Posted by BoBnoGG!n View Post
            from experience, zaks makes an affordable good feeling, good hitting cue. although i find his splices look a bit funny. sometimes theyre very short, like close to the joint. peter hanleys splice work isnt the best, but he makes a good hitting cue. both much cheaper than ivory league cues.
            I feel Zaks cues are overpriced from what I've seen so Ivory League must be over the top..... In saying that I've never seen one before so I can't comment on the quality. Obviously Ben and Steve have played with other Good quality cues before so why Ivory League cues? Were they given to them for free?

Comment

cant confirm that they were given for free, but quite possibly, yes. well, zaks is a bit pricey, but not as pricey as ivory league. ivory league will set u back 1.4k (800+ pounds) for a cue you design and choose specs for. i know you can get cues in his workshop for about 500-600 pounds, already made. while zaks will sell a cue for about 400-500 pounds, customized i believe? hanley charges less for that, but i find hanleys splice work a bit uneven at times compared to zaks and ivory league.

Comment

You are way over priced on Zaks cues i have one and it cost $450 and that included delivery to W.A. I am lead to belief Peter Hanley cues are over $1000.

Comment

yeh? i had a few mates that had some. said it costed them about 700+AUD. i think thats a good price. mate of mine also has a new hanleyt custom got it for around 5-600 AUD. mate went for a quote down at ivory league, asked for 1200AUD for cue with 1 veneer on the butt. lol hard to tell. since none of them seem to advertise a direct price. although, im pretty sure if you knew them youd get mates rates.

Comment

Yeah, that's the one thing I'm finding, particularly on Zak's site - no concrete prices even for specific models (apart from a $1300-odd snakeskin-butt cue). I much prefer seeing set prices.

Comment

yeh. even then, 1300 for that. im sure if you asked trevor for that design, he wouldnt ask for 800 pounds. which is why i think australian cue makers are a tad steep. not worth the money buying from overseas, unless purely to collect cues from every maker.

Comment

Originally Posted by BoBnoGG!n View Post
                        yeh? i had a few mates that had some. said it costed them about 700+AUD. i think thats a good price. mate of mine also has a new hanleyt custom got it for around 5-600 AUD.
                        that sounds about right, i just saw Peter a month ago!

Comment

I've only seen Zak's cues, and quite a lot of those. I think his prices are fair considering it's probably a low turnover business for him. Changes in currency values and the influx of cues made with cheaper labour and in higher volume in Thailand and China make it hard to compete in terms of price. Qmasters manage to sell them at a fairly steady rate though and my mate bought one recently that was very nicely balanced and hit well.
                          Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Working...
                          X