Importance of quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of quality

Hi, I've recently got into snooker and currently play with a cheap old BCE cue I used to use for pool. It's scratched, dented, cracked but straight as can be. Despite it's flaws I play much better with this than anything else I've tried, I guess because I'm used to the weight/feel of it.

I'm going to take a trip to Green Baize one day and treat myself but wondered how important is a good quality cue to a beginner or are you just as well off going for something cheap that feels right?

if you happy with the BCE dont bother with buying another cue. play till it breaks

Comment

Give yourself a treat... go for something dearer that feels right...
      When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Originally Posted by damienlch View Post
        Give yourself a treat... go for something dearer that feels right...
        ^^ Stirrer in action

Comment

Wont hurt to take a trip muck , go with an open mind , not intent on buying and dont rule it out . If something ticles your fancy i,m sure you could,nt resist , know i could,nt .

Comment

Originally Posted by liliput View Post
            ^^ Stirrer in action
            Lol, not really... The way I see it is if I'm getting a new cue, I might as well go for a nice one I really fancy having...
            When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

I started to play better as soon as I got an oiled cue, as opposed to a varnished one. It makes it far easier to judge the power of shots, as it glides over the bridge with more consistency and less friction, so a soft shot is a soft shot, not a "just hard enough to defeat the friction of the hand/varnish" shot.
              "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
              - Linus Pauling

Comment

Try as many cues at Greenbaize as you can,you might drop lucky.Cost and "brand name" should not be an issue,playability is everything,what feels right IS right.You might pick a GB budget cue or second user (yes he has them occasionally) up,about £80 and it could be the best thing since sliced bread,for you,or you could pick up a multi hand spliced £200-£300 cue and that is right.Hotpots observation is bang on the money,open mind and all that.Try before you buy is the way to go.I know you are based in Edinburgh but if you travel, Craftsman at Kippax is also worth a trip,200 plus cues on display,snooker and pool table to try them on and the option of full custom if you dont find what you want.Other forum members have visited Craftsman and posted very favourable reviews.Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a feeling this forum could end up costing me a fortune but to be honest i'm pretty pleased about that. I like the idea of owning a really nice cue but as you say it will just depend on what feels right on the day. I'll definitely ignore my mate who told me to save my money and just buy this. How can they claim that to be handmade by the way?

Comment

You can try cues till the end of time. Just remember when you pick up a real cracker you'll know it from the first shot and you won't want to put it down. It could also be the last cue you would expect to be right. Its like Kevin of Northwest Cues knew which cue John Higgins would choose. That says something doesn't it?

Comment

I second that.

I recently changed my cue from a Burwat champion which is a great cue to a Parris classic. I was playing very well with my Burwat cue but when I started to play with my Parris classic cue it just felt better. On the scales it is much heavier than the Burwat but cant really tell when you hold it as it is very well balanced. It really is what feels right at the time and how lucky you are to find the right cue.

I recently placed an order with Trevor White but the only issue is that the waiting time is 40 weeks, but I was willing to wait for Trevor to make me a great cue. I know you may think what is the point of getting another cue when I already found one but I know that even though my Parris classic is a great playing cue it is missing something and I am not quite sure just yet.

I am hoping that Trevor White can fill that fill the missing piece.

Comment

Working...
                      X