Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I remove these scratches from cue??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I remove these scratches from cue??

I've been using a cylinder plastic type case (cue craft) where I slide the cue and 3/4 butt out when I take it out and sometimes they slide out together and bang into one another.

This has now left scrape marks (not deep) on the ebony and wondered what's the best way to remove the marks.

Not quite sure what type of finish is on the cue but it's like a semi silk type varnish or wax? It's a King Cue from Thailand.

Here's a picture of the scrapes

Any advice welcome.

It is hard to tell how serious it is from the picture.
    I think these cues have some kind of varnish looking finish on the butt, is that correct?
    I am assuming this might just be a scuff on the finish, not in the wood.
    If it is some kind of varnish you do not want to use sandpaper as you could really mess it up.
    You can try to use a tiny bit of carnuba wax (or liquid car wax) to see if you can buff this out--just work a bit in the local areas where the scuff is. If not, try to use a bit of polishing compound mixed with water and rub the small area very gently then wipe it with a dry cloth and buff it. If it still does not work, you might need to try a bit of rubbing compound with a bit of water and buff it very very gently to see if they come off. Dont use too much or rub too hard.
    If it works, then you can try to apply a bit of polishing compound again and buff it up with a dry soft towel to bring the sheen back on the surface (provided you did not rub through the finish with the rubbing compound). Just add a bit of wax in those areas and buff it again should blend the finish nicely.
    If you have never done this before, you should try it on a cheap cue first, or get a cue doctor to do it for you.
    Last edited by poolqjunkie; 9 July 2011, 07:00 PM.
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

I have plenty of car detailing stuff like carnuba wax and also polishing compounds etc.. but wasn't sure if it's safe to use on varnish.

It certainly not scraped to the wood as you can hardly feel it with the finger to touch.

Will give it a try.

Comment

Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
        Thanks for the quick response.

I have plenty of car detailing stuff like carnuba wax and also polishing compounds etc.. but wasn't sure if it's safe to use on varnish.

It certainly not scraped to the wood as you can hardly feel it with the finger to touch.

Will give it a try.
        If you just use a bit and use it on top of the varnish it should be fine.
        Just use wax first, and then if it does not work try polishing compound and then go to rubbing compound if polishing compound still does not work. Just a bit worried you may sand through the finish with rubbing compound. It is basically like waxing out minor scuff on your car but in this case the finish on your cue is super thin compared to that of a car.
        They have some car wax that is meant for taking out scuff. If you have that may be you can try that first. Work in the local area of the scuff and do not use too much. If you are not sure mix it with a bit of water.
        Just use very tiny bit and work very gently around the scuff in a circular motion.
        You want to blend this in after you are done so you do not want to take out anything that does not need to be taken out. Therefore, do not apply it on a large area and do not use any more than is needed. Just work on the area with the scuff and nothing more, and use only what is needed and take your time.
        Good luck.
        Last edited by poolqjunkie; 9 July 2011, 07:58 PM.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Get the sand paper out and rip it all back to bare wood and then use some of poolqjunkies oil too bring it too life...

As long as the splices etc ain't painted on it will be fine.

Comment

Working...
          X