Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove chalk stains on cue

Good day everyone,

This would be my first post in the forum and hopefully more will follow. I was hoping to find out what would be the best method to remove chalk stains right below the ferrule on my cue?

I usually would wipe my cue with a damp cloth and then buff it dry after every snooker sessions. The cleaning removes most of the chalk, but slight chalk stain remains visible.

Hope someone can share some thoughts on the matter. Thank you very much

I use a little 'sugar soap' on some kitchen roll or a soft cloth then buff dry. You can get sugar soap usually in spray form from B&Q or any hardware shop.

Comment

Ok, will give sugar soap a try. Thanks for the tip Philtoms.

Also, I would like to know if it is still possible to remove old chalk stains from the cue, especially for players who don't have the habit of cleaning their cues after playing with them?

Comment

You can still use the sugar soap for old stains, this stuff cleans cues very well, but remember to buff dry with a soft cloth after cleaning your cue. Also if you use raw linseed oil on your cue this acts as a cleaning agent if you give it a good rub when applying.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

I am against the idea of using soap. It doesn't go well with wood. I use those wooden furniture cleaning products to give a good wipe of my cue

Comment

wire wool and a good oil is easier.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I'm happy to be getting feedbacks from everyone. But right now I am contemplating with which method to try first. Any other methods around?

Comment

Just leave the chalk there. Wipe your shaft with a dry towel and buff it up often would make it smooth and over time form a nice golden patina.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Leave the chalk stain on the cue? I would rather not because the green chalk stain on the cue is really an eye sore. This is just my personal opinion btw.

Comment

I assume it is a maple cue...any pic?
                    If you wipe it with a dry towel after you finish playing, and apply some oil from time to time, it will look really nice. You wil not really notice the chalk stain ebcause your shaft is now a nice golden colour.
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Mine is an ash cue. The reason I'm being so paranoid is that my old cue had a very bad chalk stain below the ferrule. I cleaned and oiled it regularly but whenever I get lazy and forget to give it a good wipe after a game or two, the chalk stain gets really visible and tough to get rid. I hope the same won't happen to my new cue.

Comment

check out craftsman polish sleeves and cue slickers.

http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalog/Accessories.html

Chalk is something which bothers me as well so what I have started to do put fingers on ferrule when chalking so my fingers catch it not the cue. Works a dream until I forget.

Comment

Its a bit more difficult with ash(due to the open grian), however, with care it is possible to remove chalk stains.
                          I use a sponge called magic eraser or like this. It is a product that can be found in a general store. You wet it a little and rub it over the stain(although i would wipe the entire shaft after stain has gone to acheive a uniform colour).
                          damp cloth and dry cue after and then oil with linseed or similar cue oil.
                          Airin's cue oil seems very good and you only need a tiny amount.
                          "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Ash is not know whether the same effective.

Comment

Yes, I agree with Richy (The Doctor). Magic Eraser can really take the dirts out as it goes into the pores of the wood to clean it. It is very cheap to buy and you can also use alcohol rather than water. The grains might raise a bit afterward, so you might want to finely sand the shaft a bit and then burnish and oil and buff. From personal experience, this could also take away the wax, or any finish you might have put on the surface of your shaft (depending on how often you use it and how rough you erase the shaft).
                              Personally I never use water on my own shaft. Once you have a nice patina forming on your shaft it will not really absorb any more chalk stain--which is why I suggested that you just wipe it with a dry towel.
                              My cue oil is a cleaner as well, it feeds and cleans your wood as you use it. You only need a very tiny bit.
                              I would not use steel wool personally. No idea what sugar soap is so no comment on that one.
                              If you are only concerned about taking off all the chalk stain, magic eraser would work very well for you. But obviously you should not use it everytime you finish playing.
                              Also agree that the way you chalk plays a part in it. Try to hold your cue at an angle so your chalk will fall on the ground rather than your shaft might help as well.
                              Personally I like an old looking shaft and chalk stains do not really bother me. Sorry I cannot be any more helpful.
                              Last edited by poolqjunkie; 13 July 2011, 07:09 PM.
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X