Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cue Advice? Driving me round the twist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Matt Dunn View Post
    yeah, it was 18 oz, 58" long, approx 9mm tip. not sure re. balance point.... :s
    I'm in Southport, north Merseyside/Lancashire....
    Seen u made on offer on custom craftsman. Nice looking cue.

If u go down custom route. I would call kev muncaster at northwest cues.

He is near preston. Dont think he holds stock cues. His reputation is not always the prettiest but great players.

I havent owned one but have played with one and it was really good.

Comment

you tried north west cues??? trhink they are preston area, not that far from you..... (or me for that matter )

also in levenshulme manchester theres a good cue shop as well http://www.snookershop.com/ maybe try there on halfway on a roadtrip to leeds to craftsman

Comment

I've been to my local small sports shop today and have been introduced to the Perodan Joe Davis cue a 3/4.He's gone down to £105, but now I get home I see I can get it online for approx £90....?
        I am SO unsure what to do! Leeds is a bit of a treck for me!!
        Hi again Matt. This thread is probably driving you further "round the twist" and is potentially getting you more confused but stick with it and come to a decision. Getting back to your original posts you're looking for something around £100 that will last a few years. That rules out North West Cues as they're way over £100. Most half decent cues will last a long time if you look after them. Bit of a rub down from time to time, bit of linseed oil, no banging the cue on the ground in despair!!!
        In terms of your required spec can I ask how the Peradon felt for length and weight? Nice or yuk? If you were happy with that then that's a start in deciding what you need. How did it feel when you ran it through your bridge hand. Nice or yuk? IMO the tip is too small for you. If you're happy enough with a Peradon then it is possible to get one with a bigger tip.
        If you can persevere and try to firm up on length, weight and tip size then I think its a big step forward in choosing a cue.
        PS I'm not sure what you meant by some of the cues feeling a bit grainy. Did you mean smooth? Ash cues always have a grain but it doesn't mean they aren't smooth. Maple cues have a less visible grain.
        Last edited by Bigmeek; 17 July 2011, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Hi guys
          Bigmeek - the shop with the Peradon cues didn't have the 3/4 lenghts in stock, they only had some pretty standard 2 piece cues. So I was looking through their catalogue - didn't get chance to have feel for it until they order one in for me.

I'm SO confused lol just wanna get it sorted then I can stop thinking about the bloody thing!
          Craftsman custom cue - 58" long 3/4 jointed 9.5mm tip 18.5oz plain black ebony with ash shaft

Comment

snookershop website seems to be down?
            Craftsman custom cue - 58" long 3/4 jointed 9.5mm tip 18.5oz plain black ebony with ash shaft

Comment

What would be the best Peradon cue to buy? At around my budget.

http://www.cues.co/index.php?main_pa...eyword=peradon

Comment

Matt Would Thurstons in Liverpool be any closer to you? Here's a link to their site. They've got the Peradon Joe Davis at £105.
                http://www.thurston.co.uk/Pages/Prod...ryID=92&page=2
                Worth giving them a call perhaps to see what they have in stock. My preference would still be to buy from Craftsman. The plain ebony at £84 looks good value and you could add a mini-butt and still be around the same price as the Peradon. Important to firm up on your spec first but whatever you buy you'll get a real benefit from playing with the same cue all the time. After a while you'll get used to it.
                Its well worth remembering that technique is more important than the cue. Even with a crappy rack cue and a bit of practice you should be able to pot blues off the spot into the end pocket. Not 10/10 clearly!!

Comment

snookershop website seems to be down?

working fine for me......

and the joe davis is 97 quid there
                  Joe Davis Selected ash. Ebony butt, sycamore veneer, ebony front splice. 9.5mm 1 or 2pc £97.00 Joe Davis Butt jointed with screw in extension, butt jointed 9.5mm 2pc (3/4) £97.00

Comment

Cant get on that website just says page cannot be displayed?

Bigmeek, I am struggling to find what the difference between the Peradon cues is? I mean there's a few at around the £90 - £140 price bracket, such as Joe Davis, Century, Ascot, Royal, Earl, Sandringham? Don't really see what the differences are - do you have any recommendations?

Comment

Cant get on that website just says page cannot be displayed?

Bigmeek, I am struggling to find what the difference between the Peradon cues is? I mean there's a few at around the £90 - £140 price bracket, such as Joe Davis, Century, Ascot, Royal, Earl, Sandringham? Don't really see what the differences are - do you have any recommendations?

using firefox or IE?

see if it works going straight to peradon cues... http://www.snookershop.com/Peradon.htm

Comment

Also, yes I'm going to Liverpool on Friday, have emailed them!

Comment

I'm using Chrome, but have tried all Chrome, IE, and Firefox...

Comment

strange, as i am getting on it no problems at all....

try google searching it and going in that way

as for difference in the cues as you asked above....

the differing prices are for different woods used in the splices mainly, some more exotic than others, and number of splices....

Comment

Maybe you're viewing the site out of your Cache, not sure?

Hmmmmm.... so what's the best value then??

Comment

By the way, the Phoenix cue is looking at £100 once they've added on postage, so am just wondering if I'd get more for my money spending £100 for a Peradon cue, I can't seem to find any info anywhere re. the Phoenix cues, they may be crap?

Comment

Working...
                                X