Linseed oiled my cue, now it's tacky.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DWOT View Post
    I've just coated my cue with the oil off a babies bottom and need never worry about it ever again.
    That just sounds wrong, on so many levels!!
    If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Your cue from the sound of it is fine the way it is now and instead of applying more coats which could make the shaft sticky, may be you can consider just buff the shaft up more often.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Its getting there. The only thing is, after 10 years of nothing, it is still accepting the oil. I have read on various threads by several cue makers to keep applying coats until it is not absorbing any longer, but my cue is still absorbing it. It isn't sitting on the surface (which I read is how to tell it has had enough) so I want to get it so that it is nice and replenished.
        Plus, I am loving the deeper golden look it is putting into the cue. The ash is going a darker shade, which makes it look better, and the ebony and snakewood are starting to come out in a deep, glossy shine, which looks great. (also, rather strangly, it has really polished the joint up. I didn't know linseed oil did that!)
        I really think the reason for the tackiness was after a day, the oil hadn't cured properly, was being used, then left in the case with little air getting to it, stopping it from curing fully. I've now got it stood in a secluded corner of the living room (lounge) allowing it to fully cure for another couple of days. Then, give it a good clean, and another buff up with the towel.
        If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

If the wood is still soaking up the oil as it is dry then you may need another coat or two.
          Leaving in the air will be better than closed up in a case (as well as possibly staining the case interior )
          Be carefull of leaning the cue in a corner on the tip as this could premote a bend in the shaft.
          Best of luck
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yeah it is still soaking it up, so will give it a few more days in the air, then when it is set properly, I will put another coat on and leave it out again.

I have got it stood in the corner, but it is leaning against a box of tissues, against the butt where the joint is. It isn't leaning against the tip as I know that can produce a bend. Thanks for the advice though.
            Only thing is, after all this, I'm gonna have a gorgeous cue, and still be s**t! Oh well, I'm enjoying the game again, so thats one good thing!

Comment

Originally Posted by deant1982 View Post
              allowing it to fully cure for another couple of days.
              lol. try couple of months....
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

I've got time Mike. If thats what it takes, thats what it'll be.

Will still be using it in the mean time, giving it a good rub down with kitchen roll and a buff up with the towel before and after, but I'll leave it to set for months if that is what it is going to take.

On a side note mike, do you (or rather would you) make a cue from pear wood? I've heard most cue makers refuse because of its tendency to warp very quickly and quite spectacularily (spelling?).

Comment

Lol. Spectacularly.

I'm not interested in using pear wood.

There's a good reason why it's not used. It's crap. :-D
                  The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Its a shame its such a bugger to work with. It makes wonderful looking cues. Mixed with some of your designs..... I think they would be a bit special!
                    Maybe you could make a one off to auction, only one you'll ever make..... Surely that would attract the collectors and increase the Mike Wooldridge beer, holiday, and retirement fund quite a bit!

Comment

Working...
                    X