Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some help with removing varnish on cue

Hi everyone,

I have gone through a few threads on the subject but I have some questions I hope someone can help me with.

I tried removing the varnish on my old cue by first using a 400 grit sandpaper followed by a 1200 grit sandpaper to smoothen the surface. I did this from shaft all the way down to the butt. I have yet to oil it but the result was significant. The cue would not get sticky even after 6 frames of snooker.

The old cue was used as a testing bed before I try this on my new cue but here are some problem with my varnish removed old cue. After removing the varnish on the butt of my cue, it gets extremely slippery. I know it's good to have a loose grip but on some power shot the cue slides a little out of my hand, which doesn't feel comfortable to me yet.

So the question is, will oiling it for let's say 3 layers with improve its grip? Also, has anyone here removed varnish only on the shaft and leave the varnish on the butt intact, allowing more grip on the butt end?

Lastly, I have seen many cues in my club where the varnish on the cues have been removed all the way down to the butt. The thing is the wood splices without the varnish looks very dull and dead looking(if you know what I mean). Again, will oiling the cue give the butt some shine, making it more appealing to the eyes.

I hope I can get some feedbacks before I proceed with my new cue. Do comment on the method I'm using so that I don't end up damaging my new cue. Thank you very much.
Working...
X