Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started playing a month ago and want to buy my first cue, but is it to early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started playing a month ago and want to buy my first cue, but is it to early?

I started playing snooker about a month ago and usually play at least once a day (at my local snooker club, I don't have a table at home). I am pondering on the thought of buying my first cue as I often read how it can improve your game and I imagine it would probably make me more consistent as I wouldn't having to keep using different cues from the snooker hall I go to. My concern is, am I probably too beginner to do this just yet, or is it a step in the right direction.

As for what cue I would get, well the main ones I have looked at are the platinum riley burwats and a master cue, though on thurston it is called duke 3/4 snooker cue but someone on this forum says it is great value.

I have looked at Mike Wooldridge but he is a bit out of my budget.

Apart from the cues i've mentioned, are they any good cues out there you can recommend that would fit my budget of £130? (that includes to buy a case)

Thanks

hey how u doing i would say try get a bit more money and go for a john parris cue abought 320 up or if thats to steap then try get to 200 and go for a gbl snooker cue they all so sell master cues that are good and cheap so have alook on green baize grate guy as well

Comment

Originally Posted by cameron0606 View Post
      hey how u doing i would say try get a bit more money and go for a john parris cue abought 320 up or if thats to steap then try get to 200 and go for a gbl snooker cue they all so sell master cues that are good and cheap so have alook on green baize grate guy as well

crap, why go for a parris? personally go for something within what can be afforded and get just as good a cue as a parris for less money without paying for his name on it. just because hes the most famous of cue makers doesnt mean he is the best....

best bet is to try a few out and see what specs suit you (weight, tip size, length etc ) and get the one you are most comfortable playing with

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
        crap, why go for a parris? personally go for something within what can be afforded and get just as good a cue as a parris for less money without paying for his name on it. just because hes the most famous of cue makers doesnt mean he is the best....

best bet is to try a few out and see what specs suit you (weight, tip size, length etc ) and get the one you are most comfortable playing with
        Thanks for the advice but the problem is there are no snooker shops even remotely near me, so trying out cues is a bit difficult. Of the various cues I have played with in my local snooker hall I seem to prefer slighlt lightish cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by redblackredblack View Post
          Thanks for the advice but the problem is there are no snooker shops even remotely near me, so trying out cues is a bit difficult. Of the various cues I have played with in my local snooker hall I seem to prefer slighlt lightish cues.
          It would help to know what area you are in. If you are in the South then I can help and advise you backed by a lifetime of experience. Advice is free so go to my website and drop me a contact E. mail wherever you are from. F. www.franksandellcuesport.co.uk.

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
            It would help to know what area you are in. If you are in the South then I can help and advise you backed by a lifetime of experience. Advice is free so go to my website and drop me a contact E. mail wherever you are from. F. www.franksandellcuesport.co.uk.
            Hi Frank thanks for replying and funnily enough I am based in the south, I am in Somerset, where are you based?

Comment

For 130 take a look at dunns-cues or matchplay-cues.

U can get a plain ebony mastercraft for 140.

Remember it nots the brand of the cue, its the cue itself and as u are relatively new, i wouldnt get too hung up on what to order. Just order a cue for ur budget and start playing.

If u prefer light then i would order it in and around 17oz.

If u do get a chance, find the cue in the club u like the most and measure its length. Then order ur cue to this length. Prob stick with 10mm tip and away u go.
              Last edited by jaffa.johnson; 15 August 2011, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson View Post
                For 130 take a look at dunns-cues or matchplay-cues.

U can get a plain ebony mastercraft for 140.

Remember it nots the brand of the cue, its the cue itself and as u are relatively new, i wouldnt get too hung up on what to order. Just order a cue for ur budget and start playing.

If u prefer light then i would order it in and around 17oz.

If u do get a chance, find the cue in the club u like the most and measure its length. Then order ur cue to this length. Prob stick with 10mm tip and away u go.
                Thanks for the advice mate.

Comment

You may have to add extra 0 to your 130 to make a century with in a week.

Comment

dont worry about price worry about feel, if it feels good and its streight then stick a decent tip on it and away you go.
                    All you have to do is put the balls in the holes!

Comment

Working...
                    X