Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old John Parris vs the new one!!!

Hi everybody,
    My friend is selling me an old John Parris classic cue, around 15 years. Somebody told me that the old JP is better than the new one because he personally made it himself. is it true? and what is the price I should pay for it?
    the new JP classic cue costs around 250 pounds.

Please advise.

Classic is more like £290 now mate. Old is best imo

Comment

Now they are more than 250 GBP plus postage. You can almost get a nice custom Trevor White ebony ash cue for that price.
      I had a few very old John Parris cue, one with the postal code and one with "hand spliced" on the badge and they were really nice playing cues. But I also had tried a newer John Parris Ultimate which I liked very much. :-)
      In my opinion, you really need to look at the cue and try it out, it is hard to say with a blanket statement older JP are better. A lot of older cues have been sanded down, altered, and beat up, plus each cue is different.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

If you are an overseas buyer of JP cues you do not have to pay the VAT 20%.

Comment

I've tried it already and I really like it. But he sells it to me for 800 AUD which is around 500 GBP. I think it's a bit expensive. The new one now only cost me 400 GBP includes shipping. The only problem with the new one is I have to wait for a couple months..

Comment

In my opinion, 500GBP for a 15 years old JP classic cue is too much, unless of course there is something very exceptional about the cue that you just love to death.
            You can almost order a John Parris Ultimate to your exact spec for this price, not to mention you can pay about 200 GBP less and get a Trevor White or a Dave Coutts. They make super awesome cues, but you need to be patient.
            I understand you may not wish to wait. With 500 GBP, you can also get a top notch cue from Mike Wooldridge, and you may not need to wait too long. He sometimes has some cues in stock, although they tend to disappear very quickly.
            With 500 GBP spent on either one of these cues you have a very good chance of getting most of your money back if and when you do decide to sell your cue in the future. So it is not a bad investment in that sense. I am not sure about a John Parris Classic even if it is 15 years old.
            By the way, when I think of an old John Parris I am thinking of a cue made in the 80's or very early 90s.

Edit: I am sorry I was not aware that you are located in Australia. I understand postage could be quite a bit and perhaps it is not always possible to try a cue before you buy so there is definitely a benefit there whereas you get to try the cue out and hold it in your hand and check it out and such.
            I guess it really is up to you. If you are happy with it and have the money to afford it, why not?
            A plain ebony ash Ultimate cue from John Parris is about 500 GBP but you need to pay postage and wait a while. You can however have it made to your spec, and also request certain chervons and things like that.
            If you do not wish to wait, I would suggest you speak with Mike Wooldridge before making up your mind as he might have some cracking cue in stock or partially finished that you can have without waiting too long.
            Last edited by poolqjunkie; 11 August 2011, 06:44 PM.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

If you like the cue then$800 is nothing .

Comment

not much of a friend £500 for a secondhand classic cue id tell him to jog on !!!... bet he didnt pay half that 15 yrs ago !!!
                just my opinion......
                http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/a...new%20project/

Comment

Originally Posted by iker_casilloc View Post
                  I've tried it already and I really like it. But he sells it to me for 800 AUD which is around 500 GBP. I think it's a bit expensive. The new one now only cost me 400 GBP includes shipping. The only problem with the new one is I have to wait for a couple months..
                  He is no friend then.

Comment

for a cue u want 800 is nothing u could pay that for a zac's but a jpu would cost fair bit more then 800 or mine was anyway

Comment

Originally Posted by mick 142 View Post
                      He is no friend then.
                      His mate would have paid a lot more for the cue than 800 Aud back then with the exchange rates of the time.
                      Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by jay_j View Post
                        for a cue u want 800 is nothing u could pay that for a zac's but a jpu would cost fair bit more then 800 or mine was anyway
                        I have heard Zac is selling a couple of cues cheap at the moment, just because business is slow. It may just be a rumer though.

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                          His mate would have paid a lot more for the cue than 800 Aud back then with the exchange rates of the time.
                          i had a old zac's. and it was a great cue but not a fan of some of his new stuff ive seen though not saying its all bad but the few new ones ive seen i wouldn't buy and with the aud being so strong at the moment i can see y things would be slow for him just makes UK cues so much cheaper
                          Last edited by jay_j; 12 August 2011, 07:11 PM.

Comment

the price is way too high. for a postcode cue etc maybe but for this one even in oz it should be under$500
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

spend a extra 450 and buy this bad boy if u want a nice old jp

http://m.facebook.com/home.php?refid...ype=1&refid=13

Comment

Working...
                              X