Cue Purchase Hell!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue Purchase Hell!!!

Well, i purchased a cue on the 9th August 2011 from Andy Travis which he posted on the forum for £120. I asked if he could fit a John Parris end joint which he said he could do for an extra £5. Upon recieving the cue, i noticed that the end joint which was put into the cue wasnt the correct one as a John Parris 6" extension didnt fit. Upon contacting him about this he informed me that this is the correct joint and that this hasnt been an issue before but he said he had extensions that would fit the so called 'Parris joint', I was happy enough with this as at least i could get hold of the extensions for the cue.

However i got the cue out of its case today and was shocked to find that the 'Ebony splicing' had turned brown in many places and the purpleheart was extremely patchy and very grainy. I contacted Andy about this and he informed me that Ebony is brown until treated and if i was to finely sand the cue and then use linseed oil on it, that it would restore the ebony back to Black.

Obviously im not happy about being asked to do work on a cue that is just over half a week old, so i asked Andy for a refund and that i will send the cue back to him. I then had a response saying that the cue must have been brown when i recieved it and that i wont be getting a refund, however he will purchase the cue back at a lower price which is extremely generous of him considering its only not even week old.

I dont know much about the manufacture of snooker cues but i dont think Ebony should turn brown at all and am just shocked and the poor customer service. I would have thought that a cue make would take pride in what they do and not deny the fact that they have supplied something not good enough. I know £125 is a low amount of money for a cue but its not the point. Sorry for the long winded post but just wanted to warn you. Im not sure where to go next with this but i expect a refund from Andy and an EXPLANATION as to what has happened because saying it was brown when i recieved it means that he is saying Parcelforce is to blame. I could be over reacting but im not a happy customer!! So beware!!!!!

Thanks

IMG-20110814-00037.jpgIMG-20110814-00038.jpg

I saw this cue the day that aaron aquired the cue and the ebony was definately NOT brown, he also used my JP extensions which I can verify as 100% JP, and they do not fit the so callled JP sd joint now I'm not looking to harm andy travis' rep here as iv heard nothing but good feedback from his customers and the cue is a cracking cue, especially for 120 quid but what has happened isn't good on andys part imho

Comment

well ebony is not brown before its treated!
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
        well ebony is not brown before its treated!
        Is the less blackish ebony more inferior to a jet black ebony in terms of quality and money value pls?

Comment

Originally Posted by Straight strike View Post
          Is the less blackish ebony more inferior to a jet black ebony in terms of quality and money value pls?
          as a general rule the blacker it is the more it will cost, hence so many are dyed these days. its not really the fault of the cue makers, totally black ebony is hard to come by these days.

Comment

Hmm you have probably seen on the forums yourself that there is some good word in his cues. I believe this a second bad review that I have seen about him. Not sure if I should still purchase one of him like I originally planned.

Comment

Originally Posted by trungyy View Post
              Hmm you have probably seen on the forums yourself that there is some good word in his cues. I believe this a second bad review that I have seen about him. Not sure if I should still purchase one of him like I originally planned.
              I was the first to complain about him here and ended up offering two of his cues for free on this forum. He never offered to fix up his mess when i bought two cues from him of ebay. All he had was excuses.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                as a general rule the blacker it is the more it will cost, hence so many are dyed these days. its not really the fault of the cue makers, totally black ebony is hard to come by these days.
                Do you mean that if i found a new cue with jet black ebony butt, it could have been dyed? Even from some reputable cuemaker? How can one tell if the ebony has been dyed then?

Comment

To be fair Andy has said the he will give me more or less a full refund on the cue minus the carriage i paid originally which i am happy about. I am just awaiting confirmation of this from him before the send the cue back to him.

Comment

If everything you've said is accurate you're being too charitable IMO. He uses the forum to sell cues and he has to take responsibility for them.
                    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Is it possible that Andy is fairly new to cue-making and doesn't have the experience of a JP, TW or MW? If so I expect he may turn out a bad cue from time to time.

Comment

Personally i don't think you should have had to go through this hassle to get a refund, if you recieve a cue and your not happy with it then by law i think your entitled to return it within 7 days for a full refund, its called the distance selling act.

I don't know Andy at all, ive seen some good reviews on his cues, i'm just suprised that from what you have said he has dug his heels in so much considering he sells cues on here and it would have been a possibility that you would have posted your bad experience on the forum where he sells cues.

Glad you got it sorted.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by Straight strike View Post
                          Do you mean that if i found a new cue with jet black ebony butt, it could have been dyed? Even from some reputable cuemaker? How can one tell if the ebony has been dyed then?
                          its very hard you need to know the maker or you subject.

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                            If everything you've said is accurate you're being too charitable IMO. He uses the forum to sell cues and he has to take responsibility for them.
                            correct - how long do you think my reputation would last if i had no back up service? also the law states that he must take it back on those terms just because you have changed your mind!

Comment

He has just given me £113 of the £125 that i paid...Obviously i would like to get my full refund but im sure it will be too much hassle to do so. All sorted...Now to find a new cue haha

Comment

Working...
                              X